Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you expect more Al Qaida attacks on Western targets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you expect more Al Qaida attacks on Western targets?

Pretty simple question this. Do you expect the continuation of "the coalitions" policies on Iraq, Afghanistan etc to actually remove the threat?

EDIT: People are claiming the question is poorly phrased... Deliberate, I wanted some debate.

Put it another way - when there are no coalition forces in Iraq, and when there are no Al Qaida left in Afghanistan or the neighbouring countries, will you feel safe?

Feel free to embellish/embroider/nitpick all you like. The reason I ask it because I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by Cruddy; July 24, 2003, 18:32.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Yes. Wait, you asked two opposite questions.

Yes, I expect Al-Qaeda to continue hitting us.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

ur question is pretty poorly phrased. remove--->reduce.

and remember, al qaida is not limited by desire, only by ability.

Comment

Yes, I think the attempt will be made.
        And yes, I think you have to cut the heads off snakes until you run out of snakes.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sure.. why would they stop?
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yes, I think the will continue to attack, but they will do dumber and dumber things; like try and burn down buildings or towers made entirely out of steel...

No, I think they have already relocated to Bora Bora, and are currently laughing at everyone as they sip on a pinacolada!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

No, I don't think so. Al Qaeda:

Don't understand Western societies that well, thus can't blend in very well, or plan effectively.

Are wedded to the suicide bomber concept, this has it's advantages, but they'll never build up a base of veteran terrorists.

Are trying to acquire chemical, biological and radiological weapons. These are less effective than explosives for terrorism, and are considerably more difficult to obtain.

Comment

I don't expect the attacks to stop. I think a passive policy would have been even worse, though. It would have enjoined our enemies and intimidated the civilian populace. Much better to return fire than to turn the other cheek.

Comment

word

get the sub nukes ready player we are going to make these b1tches pay
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

No, the attacks won't stop. But the Shomali plains is the graveyard of quite a few jihadists who would attack us, or cause trouble to us otherwise. Iraq was a demonstration of power that countered the belief in the Arab world that the US was a paper tiger. This should reduce the general quality of the jihadist recruits.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

i'm not afraid of more attacks.

if there are more, then so be it. we're in this until we win it.

if there are no more, then so be it. we'll have won.

to be scared of these attacks, to be terrorized, would be giving them the advantage. never let them see you sweat or bleed, and they will grow to fear you.

'course, with the current chicken little mentality the american public seems to have right now, it certainly doesn't make it seem as if we're that confident.
                      B♭3

Comment

If the forces leave before completing their job there will be more attacks

If the forces leave after completing their job there might be more attacks, but not organized from these places
                        "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                        "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

Don't understand Western societies that well, thus can't blend in very well, or plan effectively.

can blend into local muslim populations.

Are wedded to the suicide bomber concept, this has it's advantages, but they'll never build up a base of veteran terrorists.
                          The operators can remain veterans. The suicide bombers themselves can be kids.

My reply is: yes.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

There are too many variables to think about... and I doubt most people, including myself, are exposed to necessary information to make such a decision. But based upon what I know, I think the US actions in the region will have less of an affect on the likelihood of domestic terrorism in the short term. If anything, our actions in the region, so far, have the potential to breed more terrorism, years down the line. But that is only if things remain ****ty. If Afghanistan is still a third world country in 20 years, I doubt much will change. And with Iraq... if the US doesn't succeed in stabilizing the country, or if another brutal regime emerges, look for a whole generation of Iraqi's blaming America for their problems.

Domestic security is the area we can commit resources to in order to help prevent domestic terroracts. I also think cooperating with our allies can only help. It's widely reported that the 9-11 hijackers traveled a lot in countries that we are currently alienating.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The war is far from over. Al Qeada will continue to attack when they can. It is imperitive that we continue to take the war to them whenever we can. It would be most helpful if Europeans would freeze all terrorist related funds for the duration of the conflict. Pal-Israeli peace is a very necessary tool to curb recruitment. This could go on for years.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X