Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For example, I haven't read any of the Discworld series
    WHAT

We need to establish "Force JohnT to read all Discworld books" club.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Naw... he doesn't have to .

Read one of them and you've read them all .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

--"Wraith, is this a novel, graphic novel, what?"

It's a novel. Originally written in Japanese, but there's translations available in several languages (including English). Cyberpunkish, plus a sort of fantasy component. The main character is the member of an organization which specializes in data protection. Some of their members (like the main character) act as living encryption systems.

There are, of course, rivals who try to steal those secrets.

Wraith
        A=B and B=C therefore A=C {except where void or prohibited by law}

Comment

For example, I haven't read any of the Discworld series - will I be able to understand "The Science of Discworld" w/o having read the original novels?

Yep. Half the chapters are non-fiction anyway.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Bump. Gonna post voting thread tomorrow...

Comment

Here's a reader review from Amazon's site of "The Demolished Man"

The Demolished Man earned Alfred Bester the very first Hugo award for best science fiction novel of the year ever awarded, and the novel's influence on science fiction has been immense over the years. The novel is a wonderfully original, fascinating tale of a future society in which guns and murder are all but forgotten, yet this brave new world's very future comes to hang in the balance as a result of one powerful man's thoughts, dreams, and fears. In the world of 2301 A.D., seventy years have passed since the last murder, and guns are nothing more than forgotten museum pieces. Espers, or peepers, men and women able to read minds when called upon to do so, are able to spot anyone contemplating a violent crime long before that person is able to act. Perhaps only one man would dare to plan a cold-blooded murder and have the guts, influence, wiles, and coercive power to pull it off; such an audacious action can only be achieved with the aid of a first class peeper, and the ethics of each and every peeper is basically unassailable. Ben Reich, head of the Monarch company and one of the most powerful men in the world, is losing his decade-long fight against the firm of Craye D'Courtney, and he eventually determines that he has no choice but to kill his rival. It won't be easy, especially the bypassing of peepers, but he has the will and the means to pull off the impossible. Prefect Lincoln Powell, a first class peeper, is called on to investigate the murder; figuring out who killed D'Courtney is easy, but proving it is something else. Convincing the super-computer at the district attorney's office of an open and shut case requires every single piece of the puzzle being put into place. The bulk of the novel revolves around Reich's machinations and brilliant moves and Powell's equally brilliant countermoves, with the case (and the novel) taking on much deeper implications toward the end as Powell begins to realize that his suspect is not only a dangerous man in the normal sense but is in fact a grave danger to the very universe as it now exists.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of The Demolished Man is Bester's presentation of thought and communication among peepers. Not only does he gives us a sense of the telepathic communication of a group of peepers, he describes it in an incredibly visual way; basically, he paints fascinating word pictures of telepathic thought communication. Bester also uses a good deal of slang and invented concepts in his story, which is just one of the many aspects of the writing that cyberpunk and other avant-garde science fiction writers have been influenced by over the course of recent decades. Lest you fear that Bester's writing is overly theorized and dull, I should point out the fact that the novel is blessed with a good deal of humor, action, insightful emotional complexities, and even a love story of sorts. The ending holds a surprise or two for the reader (although the careful reader will figure out many things along the way), ensuring that the ending is in no way a let-down from the suspenseful and engaging read leading up to it. It is a pity that Alfred Bester did not publish more novels and stories than he did over the course of his distinguished career, but the science fiction legacy he did leave behind will forever be studied, emulated, cherished, and most of all enjoyed by generation after generation of readers.

Comment

How about The Forever Hero by L E Modesitt, Jr?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                  How about The Forever Hero by L E Modesitt, Jr?
                  I think you would need to narrow it down to one of the books to make things more managable for the readers. (The book is actually three different volumes in one.) I actually recently ordered the book and plan to read it regardless since L E Modesitt, Jr is one of my favorite authors. I can actually think of a couple other books by the author that work work with the listed theme as well.
                  Last edited by Mordoch; July 24, 2003, 17:15.

Comment

I have the compendium book that contains all three; I think it was only seven hundred pages or so. If that's too long what about Hammer of Darkness, same author?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                      If that's too long what about Hammer of Darkness, same author?
                      BAD idea. I've been trying to get ahold of the book for a couple years now, and the only place I can find it is used online for $12.00 or more. The book is out of print and very hard to find. I would suggest either Timedivers's Dawn, (also in print as part of the two volume set Timegods' World) or Adiamante.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch

BAD idea. I've been trying to get ahold of the book for a couple years now, and the only place I can find it is used online for $12.00 or more. The book is out of print and very hard to find. I would suggest either Timedivers's Dawn, (also in print as part of the two volume set Timegods' World) or Adiamante.
                        That hard to get ahold of? Glad I picked it up when I had the chance. Adiamante is a good one; I just finished rereading it the other day.

Comment

Working...
                        X