Iraqi Poll: What they think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Poll: What they think

Americans have been polled plenty about the war in Iraq. Now, the first survey of Iraqis has emerged from Baghdad, revealing a population that is anxious and perplexed, but also sure that the war ultimately will improve their lives.

Americans have been polled plenty about the war in Iraq. Now, the first survey of Iraqis has emerged from Baghdad, revealing a population that is anxious and perplexed, but also sure that the war ultimately will improve their lives.
    Pollsters commissioned by Britain's Spectator magazine and Channel 4 television network surveyed 798 Baghdad residents face to face July 8-10, their work sometimes interrupted by gunfire, explosions, sandstorms and gun-wielding assailants.
    "The first systemic opinion poll of Iraq," the Spectator stated, "finds a population full of anxiety — but also convinced that war has made their future brighter."
    The magazine said the pollsters were hard-pressed "to disengage from a stream of additional comments."
    "Far from being nervous about being interviewed, they [Iraqis] wanted to say more and more. This place seemed ripe for some kind of democracy."
    The hard-won results, released Thursday and titled "What Baghdad Really Thinks," found that 50 percent of the respondents called the U.S.-led war against Saddam Hussein "right"; 27 percent said it was "wrong"; 23 percent had no opinion.
    Five percent of respondents wanted Saddam to return to power. Nine percent preferred life under Saddam's rule, while 29 percent "prefer Americans." Forty-seven percent had "no preference" and 15 percent did not answer.
    Iraqis have mixed opinions about when they should regain full control of their country, the poll found.
    Forty percent want control immediately, 11 percent within three months, 11 percent within six months and 11 percent within a year. Nearly 10 percent thought regaining control after more than one year was reasonable, and 7 percent thought "Iraqis should not be granted political power" at all. Ten percent had no opinion.
    With reference to a style of government, 36 percent want a U.S.-style democracy, and 26 percent prefer Islamic rule "tempered with modern ideals of justice and punishment." Five percent want a presidential ruler, but "not Saddam." Six percent want religious leaders in charge, and 6 percent want a single-party state. The rest were not sure or declined to state their preference.
    Thirteen percent want U.S. and British forces to leave Iraq "straightaway." A quarter want them there for a year; 20 percent thought they should leave in less than a year, and 31 percent hoped the troops would stay for "a few years."
    A third said their lives were better after the war, while 43 percent said it would be better in a year, and 52 percent said it would be improved in five years.
    Just over one quarter said they felt friendly towards U.S. and British forces; 50 percent said they felt neither friendly nor hostile toward the troops. Nine percent said they felt "very" hostile, and 9 percent were "fairly" hostile.
    Life has gotten more threatening, the respondents said. Fifty-four percent said it was "much more" dangerous, 21 percent said "a little more," 14 percent said a "little" or "much" safer, and 10 percent said there was no change.
    The Iraqis also theorized about American and British motivations for the war: 47 percent felt it was "to secure oil supplies," 41 percent said it was to help Israel, and 23 percent felt it was to liberate Iraq from dictatorship.
    Seven percent said the war was fought "to protect Kuwait"; 6 percent thought the war was staged to find weapons of mass destruction, and 18 percent either did not know or would not answer.
    Most of the Iraqis' personal travails stem from lack of services, the poll found. Eighty percent cited lack of power, 67 percent noted street violence, 49 percent spoke of lack of drinking water, 33 percent cited lack of medical care, 24 percent said there were food shortages, 21 percent talked of business closings and 17 percent noted school closings.
    The poll, which was conducted by the firm YouGov, can be viewed at the Spectator Web site (www.spectator.co.uk).
    Kick in the mouth for you anti-war folks.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

That's nice.

I usually remain cautious of polls like this, though. 2.6 million out of 5.2 million is 50%; similarly, 1 out of 2 is also 50%.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Well 23% had no opinion.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Oh Fez.... No, I will no try to explain basics that have already failed with you....

As for the poll: Yeah! 36% want democracy..Now, if only that 64% that want somehting else stay away from the polls, we will be fine in the future!
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I missed the part where it said how many people were interviewed. Oops.
          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            Oh Fez.... No, I will no try to explain basics that have already failed with you....

As for the poll: Yeah! 36% want democracy..Now, if only that 64% that want somehting else stay away from the polls, we will be fine in the future!
            Again a very large portion didn't answer and didn't have an opinion.

Alas, a buffoon like you fails to see the fact that they want a better life. And with Saddam that wouldn't happen.

Comment

Hey Fez, since we are talking about what the Iraqi people think; to quote your quote:

Just over one quarter said they felt friendly towards U.S. and British forces; 50 percent said they felt neither friendly nor hostile toward the troops. Nine percent said they felt "very" hostile, and 9 percent were "fairly" hostile.
              Life has gotten more threatening, the respondents said. Fifty-four percent said it was "much more" dangerous, 21 percent said "a little more," 14 percent said a "little" or "much" safer, and 10 percent said there was no change.
              The Iraqis also theorized about American and British motivations for the war: 47 percent felt it was "to secure oil supplies," 41 percent said it was to help Israel, and 23 percent felt it was to liberate Iraq from dictatorship.

Now why on earth were thse sections not bolded, I wonder?

Oh, and Fezzie pooh, get back to me on your "bafoon" allegation after you get some sort of education, NOT before, OK?
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

They are just as significant. But I think the Iraqi people feel they are better off without Saddam overall... but as the bafoon you are.. you continue to deny this.

You get some education, you Saddam loving freak.

Comment

Bit that interests me most (the sample is too small to be significant) is that most people interviewed had a lot to say about what they do and don't want.

After a long brutal suppression of public opinion, given the chance they do want to talk. They aren't happy now - and they weren't happy before.

Only way is up in that circumstance.
                  Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                  "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

They polled only 798 people? From only one area of the country?

Anyhow, from those figures it sounds like most of the people didn't give a sh1t one way or the other! Hardly a resounding endorsement for a war that cost thousands of lives

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                      They polled only 798 people? From only one area of the country?
                      Yep, sounds not very representative to just poll less than thousands inhabitants of just one City within the country.

Especially the question about "Do you want an islamic or a secular State" might shift much more to "Islamic" if inhabitants of the cities in the south of the country (specially the smaller cities ) are also polled
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

There are a lot of methodological mistakes in that article, creating invalidity. You generalize Bagdadians to Iraqis. There's not mentioned how many people refused to take part to the poll before they got 798 respondents. Further:

The hard-won results, released Thursday and titled "What Baghdad Really Thinks," found that 50 percent of the respondents called the U.S.-led war against Saddam Hussein "right"; 27 percent said it was "wrong"; 23 percent had no opinion.
                        That question is biased if they asked people "Was the U.S.-led war against Saddam Hussein right (or wrong, or do you have no opinion)?" Why? Because an argument in favour of the war is already used in the question, influencing the answer of the respondents. They shouldn't have mentioned the "against Saddam" part.

With reference to a style of government, 36 percent want a U.S.-style democracy, and 26 percent prefer Islamic rule "tempered with modern ideals of justice and punishment." Five percent want a presidential ruler, but "not Saddam." Six percent want religious leaders in charge, and 6 percent want a single-party state. The rest were not sure or declined to state their preference.
                        Where's the "not-U.S.-style democracy" option to choose? Not enough answering possibilities.

I guess there are many more mistakes, but those were the ones I noticed immediately.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Not to mention the fact that a 'U.S.-style democracy' is compatible with moderate Islamic rule.

Comment

It seems as if a sizeable minority want an Islamic state. Wonder if our notions of democracy will include their desires?
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Would it be fair to assume that most of those who refused to answer (ie not in the 798 people) or said they had 'no opinion' were doing so based on the fact that the poll was concucted by 'westerners' and/or they didn't want to be seen as being against the status quo?

Comment

Working...
                              X