Why Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Latin?

i never understood how Latin dominated the catholic church for so long until the 60's... how can a religion function when nearly all the believer can't understood the religious text nor the services cause they were all in a dead language known only to the priests? and how did catholics become so fanatical between the 15th and 18th centuries when they couldn't understand anything about their religion?

and why latin of all languages? just because it was the language of Rome? wouldn't Hebrew or Greek have been truer languages as they were the original languages of the bible? latin bibles were nothing but second hand translations...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

i never understood how Latin dominated the catholic church for so long until the 60's... how can a religion function when nearly all the believer can't understood the religious text nor the services cause they were all in a dead language known only to the priests? and how did catholics become so fanatical between the 15th and 18th centuries when they couldn't understand anything about their religion?
    Because everything the people knew about religion was told to them by the priests. Knowledge is power. They had a monopoly on what was considered to be the truth. Eventually, such abuses gave way to Reformation and Protestantism.

and why latin of all languages? just because it was the language of Rome? wouldn't Hebrew or Greek have been truer languages as they were the original languages of the bible? latin bibles were nothing but second hand translations...
    Constantine... Rome... etc... Hebrew was the language of the Jews, and of course, since Christians and Jews slaughtered each other, they couldn't share the same language. Also, the language of Rome was Latin. Greek was considered an ancient language of just another conquered tribe.

You should read more about history Speer, it's quite fascinating. People think of Rome as being ancient history and irrelevant to today... but everything that our world is can be traced to history.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

*groans*

OK, for one, sermons delivered were in the vernacular. Next, people were cathecized(taught about the faith) in the vernacular. Also, many people knew what the different responses meant.

"and why latin of all languages? just because it was the language of Rome? wouldn't Hebrew or Greek have been truer languages as they were the original languages of the bible? latin bibles were nothing but second hand translations..."

Latin had beeen established as the language of the Church of time, however there is no divine law saying the mass must be in Latin, and as such today we have masses in the vernacular, but even then some eastern catholic churches(such as the assyrian free church) didn't need to use latin.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        but everything that our world is can be traced to history.
        well, duh
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

sava makes a few very good posts, and this is one of them.

i cant' think of a lot more to say really.
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

"sava makes a few very good posts, and this is one of them. "

no, it isn't.

Comment

(a) the "everything the people knew about religion" thing is BS. Latin was a widely taught classical language, and a uniform part of higher education in much of the world until not long ago.

(b) Latin is the single most influential language in the world, not only in the etymology and structure of other languages, but for it's specific modern uses in law, medicine, and other scientific fields.

(c) It was very convenient (still is) if you have a common language background worldwide - in principle, it's no different than air traffic controllers and commercial pilots all using English on an exclusive basis in flight control communications.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

MtG:

higher education? i'm sure peasants went to the great universities in Milan...
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Latin was the laguage of Law, of government, of the Empire and became the language of the Church based out of Rome. MIght as well use Latin, the universal language. In an age when most people could not read eihter, why the hel does it matter if people could not understand parts fot e service either? It was all Greek to them one way or the other.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

no, it isn't.
                    it is when you compare it to the rest of his posts.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

It is wonderful that Protestantism has saved us all from the chains and hellfire of catholicism.

[/end ruffling MTG's feathers]
                      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                        It is wonderful that Protestantism has saved us all from the chains and hellfire of catholicism.

Zip it.

Some of us are atheist.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider

Heretic.

Comment

Truthfully, I probably probably prefer catholicism to protestantism these days, so I tip my hat to Apoly's catholics.
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, in fact, early it was Greek that dominated in the church, both east and west. Only some centuries later did it change to latin. The entire idea was that liturgy can be held only in three languages used in the sign on the cross; Hebrew, Greek, and Latin. Almost no-one knew Hebrew, so Latin and Greek dominated, as they were understandable to all at the time. Only later, when Germanic and Slavic peoples were converted, and latin separated from local speech, it ceased to have bigger sense. Slavs were allowed to have liturgy in their languages by the orthodox, and initially by Rome as well.
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                              X