How many people ACTUALLY have ADD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLATO1003

Jon, currently doctors rely almost exclusively on questionaires filled out by parents and teachers. Little actual observation by the doctor is done. These questionaires are , IMO, highly biased toward producing an ADD or ADHD diagnosis. In order to acurrately define what is ADD or ADHD far more observation from a trained doctor is indicated. Many teachers are aware of how to answer the questions to get the diagnosis they desire. It is my opinion that they do this in order to have to exert less effort in the classroom to control or challenge the kids.
    Your teachers are the ones who have a right do diagnose ADD?

Now I don´t ´wonder, why so much people in your Country are diagnosed ADD

Sorry, but I have to agree with John T.
    I wouldn´t trust most teachers to diagnose psychological illnessses.
    There are people trained for this kind of work, Psychologists and Psychiatrists and I´d rather trust them to be capable to make correct Diagnostics.
    Techers are there to teach, that´s what they were trained for, not to do the work of a psychologist
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Huh? What were you talking about? I lost track...
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
        Your teachers are the ones who have a right do diagnose ADD?

Now I don´t ´wonder, why so much people in your Country are diagnosed ADD
        Odd, isn't it? They do not actually do the diagnosis, but the input from them is a major consideration in the process.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The only impact I can say it's had on my life is that it's very difficult to sit through, say, and entire 2-hr. movie. I usually have to watch a movie over a 10-hr period, otherwise I miss at least half of it.

I like my drugs green and leafy, not prepressed pill form.
          Yes, I mean basil.

Coffee is good too. Oooh, and can't forget our other favourite little brown weed: Mr. American Spirit himself, in the burning flesh.
          -30-

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003

Odd, isn't it? They do not actually do the diagnosis, but the input from them is a major consideration in the process.
            Ah, I understand, jep it is very odd
            sounds like the people who developed those procedures weren´t interested in a correct diagnosis (which could cost a lot of time), but to get a diagnosis (regardless if correct or not) as fast as possible
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

While I agree that ADD/ADHD is a real disorder (I have a friend that throws chairs at people if he doesn't take his meds), I also believe that it is grossly over-diagnosed. The criteria are currently too vague and subjective to reliably identify real cases. I mean, my God, if we diagnosed every kid who didn't pay attention in math class with ADD, I'd be on Ritalin right now.
              "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
              "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
                The only impact I can say it's had on my life is that it's very difficult to sit through, say, and entire 2-hr. movie. I usually have to watch a movie over a 10-hr period, otherwise I miss at least half of it.
                This is actually quite uncommon. In most ADD or ADHD people the one time they seem to exhibit focus is watching TV, movies, or reading books. It seems to be contradictory to me but I am told that it has to do these areas being so sensory intent that an ADD or ADHD person is not subject to the distraction of external stimuli.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

Ah, I understand, jep it is very odd
                  sounds like the people who developed those procedures weren´t interested in a correct diagnosis (which could cost a lot of time), but to get a diagnosis (regardless if correct or not) as fast as possible
                  This is the exact conclusion that I draw as well.

Comment

Shhh, don't tell anyone I told you:

ADD/ADHD is all a big conspiracy generated by big-pharma in order to sell overstock of placebo as very expensive "medication"...

---

Just kidding, I think it exists, but is also over diagnosed because stupid yuppie parents would rather give them tons of sugar to make them happy, and then give them tons of drugs to make them shut up so they can pop a bunch of pain killers, chase it with a vodka martini, and have sex so that they can make more trophy brats.... (hey, run on sentence)

Todays parents are wicked little people who find it a lot easier to ignore the problems their kids have by passing them over to grandma or sticking needles in their arms... Thank god for these morons, because of them I will always have a job.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

How many people ACTUALLY have ADD?
                      The real question is: Does ADD even exist?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        The real question is: Does ADD even exist?
                        I think teachers use that excuse to punish people who are rebelious. (my teachers get mad brcause I say I'm proud to be rebelious). ADHD is simply an invention of our society to stop people being free-thinking and creative. Einstien had a good life and he didn't need no f*cking Ritalin. Stop making us take that mind-control crap.

ADHD=Very smart and unorthodox.

Comment

Well....In a visit with the psychiatrist, I've told them I refuse to give my B (Yes. B. Not C. B) math student pills for a disorder he doesn't have.

I highly doubt giving him pills is going to improve his love for math. What I'm going to do is try to encourage him to use math in practical applications, and maybe it'll spark his interest. But I know drugs are not the answer for this.

And yes, I believe ADD is a real disorder but it affects much less of the population than we are lead to believe.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I dont know if ADD exists... all I know is I was mis-diagnosed with it as a child, and taking medication for it almost ruined my life-after 2 years of having pills down my throat I simply refused to take them anymore(I was 9 or 10 at the time).

When I was young I simply couldnt stand sitting still in class all day...... It's worth noting I read and understood "The Time Machine" by Wells in two weeks when I was 7. I'm not claiming to be a genius-I know im not, but I've always done most of my "academic" learning outside of school, and because of it had NO interest for it-I LOVE to read and I've read tons of every topic for all of my life-school has always been a test of how patiently I can stare at a wall.

A 5 or 6 year old bored from sitting in a class day in and day out being told things he knows? *gasp*!

My school convinced my parents I had ADD, and it almost ruined my life. Taking those damn pills will give someone a psychological dependancy on it and will "explain away" someone's problems. No better way to discourage a child from trying hard, then giving him a crutch and telling him he has a legitimate condition-when he dosent: I am glad I realized THAT at a young age and refused to let my mind be warped by poison.

I am really, really angry that any child gets medicated for ADD, to be honest I really DONT think it exists, I think it is bad parents looking for an easy way out to explain why they shouldnt have to be parents.

I really cant express how strongly I feel about this topic in words, just thinking about it makes me physically angry.

Comment

Telling a child he has ADD is the WORST possible thing a parent can do.

If a parent observes a child has a problem that can be solved by working harder, does giving that child an exscuse to work even less sound like a good idea?

I'm ALMOST certain ADD dosent exist, but I cant be sure-from my personal experience however, medicating any child is wrong, I feel the deepest sympathy for any child who's live has been irrevicably ruined by being "diagnosed" with ADD.

Comment

Working...
                              X