Getting fat from fast food? You won't be abled to sue soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting fat from fast food? You won't be abled to sue soon

WASHINGTON (AP) -- If too many burgers and fries have left your waistline super-sized, don't expect a sweet pay-off in court, senators said Thursday. A bill would prevent people from suing restaurants and food manufacturers for making them fat.

"I think it's important not to blame poor eating habits on someone else," said Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, and the sponsor of the bill.

The measure would block lawsuits related to obesity or weight gain, but not suits charging other kinds of injury or fraud. It is similar to one already introduced in the House.

The House held a hearing last month on the relatively new legal trend in which consumers are suing fast food chains like McDonald's and arguing that the food contributed to their obesity.

McConnell, the GOP whip, predicted an uphill battle getting the measure through the Senate.

The Association of Trial Lawyers of America opposes the bill, while the food industry has lobbied for it. Both are big campaign donors.

The trial lawyers group contributed $4.2 million to federal campaigns and political parties in the last election cycle, with 91 percent going to Democrats, according to the Washington-based Center for Responsive Politics.

Restaurants and bars contributed $7 million, with 77 percent going to Republicans. Food manufacturers gave $3.3 million, with 86 percent going to Republicans.

McConnell's bill would help at least one company in his home state. Louisville-based Yum! Brands, Inc., owns Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KFC.
    If you get fat it is your own fault, not that of the companies who runs the fast food chains.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

I just got my $2 billion dollar settlement in

I'm glad I sued before it was too late.

Comment

Are you that fat?
      Blah

Comment

I'm more worried about the food chains changing their menus to a more 'healthy' and, subsequently, even more unappetizing version of food.

Comment

Dang, and I was going to purposely gain 300 lbs so I could go on disability. Feh!
          -30-

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
            Dang, and I was going to purposely gain 300 lbs so I could go on disability. Feh!
            You could always become a sumo wrestler...
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

BTW, do I get fast from eating fat food?
              Blah

Comment

Judging by which group spent the most money, it looks like the fast food chains will win.
                American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                XGalaga.

Comment

fast food doesn't make you fat.

case in point.

I'm not fat, yet I eat Taco Bell and Pizza

the trick is not eating too much of it. I used to be fat mind you, and then I realized I was eating too much fast food- and other food. Simply cutting the amount I ate, reduced my weight by 40 pounds.

case closed!

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                    I'm more worried about the food chains changing their menus to a more 'healthy' and, subsequently, even more unappetizing version of food.
                    More unappetizing than current fast food? I didn't think that was possible.
                    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I can't see how anybody finds McDonald's appetizing.

but taco bell on the other hand. *drools*

Comment

:vomits:
                        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Arby's used to be my favorite...

Comment

I can imagine the look on the judge's face if you tried to sue a fast food company for making you fat in this country.

I don't know if judges are allowed to say "Don't be so bloody stupid..."
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

I can't see how anybody finds McDonald's appetizing.

but taco bell on the other hand. *drools*
                              taco bell is the best of all fast food, subway comes in a close second, then wendys, and finally all those other places like McDonalds and Burger King. Unfortunatly, or fortunatly depending on how you look at it, there isnt a fast food joint within a few hundred miles of where i live so I havent had fast food in a couple of years. Unless cinnabons count, when people fly back in to Barrow they usually bring back cinnabons.

Comment

Working...
                              X