Netscape: An End of an Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape: An End of an Era

Though it's been long overdue for Netscape to step aside, and I haven't used it for over 3 years, I'll always have a sentimental place in my heart and soul for a tool that billions of us spent many hours with as the world transformed itself into an exciting, up and down, new era .

As the New Economy finally puts the last remnants of itself aside, so too, goes the vanguard of the Revolution -- Netscape.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

So long Netscape, you were the browser I grew up with.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

They sucked, they suck, they will continue to suck.

It's about goddamned time that crappy browser was kicked to the curb.

Opera all the way!
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I switched to Netscape from Mosaic and used it until I switched to Mozilla (happily, I might add--Mozilla rocks!). 6 or 7 years, I guess.

RIP Netscape.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Mozilla's okay. It's a little slow. I'm curious about Firebird, since it's supposed to be leaner and quicker. I use Opera a lot in my accessiblity testing, but most most things, I just use IE. It's fast, and displays correctly.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

There are still alot of employees at Netscape, but it sounds like they are pretty much going to be out the door.

AOL is giving Mozilla $2 million in funding and supposedly Mozilla is going to hire some of the people that got cut.

Though I don't use or see a need to use Mozilla anyway.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Netscape was the first browser that I used. At he time it was top of the line and had a huge market share. Just goes to show you what Gates can do if you go head to head with him
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Yer one of those stinking Mac users, though. You have Sahara or whatever it is.

*chegitz is jealous.

Comment

One uses mozilla to show that you are a man-hating feminazi who also happens to dislike Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                    Netscape was the first browser that I used. At he time it was top of the line and had a huge market share. Just goes to show you what Gates can do if you go head to head with him
                    The absolute WORST mistake a company can make is to tell Gates you are going to fight him.

You will lose. Every single time.

Only way to win is to go around...

Comment

One uses mozilla to show that you are a man-hating feminazi who also happens to dislike Microsoft.

I didn't know DanS was a femi-nazi. Interesting.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda

true

Comment

ever since aol bought netscape, i've shucked it in favor of mozilla.

mozilla doesn't install all those damned aol links everywhere.
                          B♭3

Comment

and in any case, i prefer opera and konqueror, while still using ie and moz.
                            B♭3

Comment

I know that MS is no longer making IE for the Macintosh. Something about the Mac OS environment being limiting or like that.

And now Netscape, the first browser I ever used, is going the way of the dodo bird. It's sad, in a way. When MS began bundling its browser with its OS, many folks predicted it was just a matter of time before NS died. And so it has come to pass.

Thank goodness for Safari ...

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X