No announcement yet.

Free Speech vs Due Process/Fair Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can evidence be excluded from a jury's mind (as it sometimes is rightfully done) when the jury's heard all about it for months on CNN?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

IIRC, if someone has information relevant to a criminal investigation, and they don't divulge it, isn't that Obstruction of Justice?

No. It's only Obstruction if you are asked and you do not divulge. Then again, there is always the option of taking the 5th.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Only until you're given immunity.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

there are some restrictions here, but not a huge ammount (look at the media circus surrounding the jeffery archer trial for example). most of the restrictions relate to things like minors, victims of certain types of crime (rape and connected offences, generally) and of course national security. sometimes 'gaging orders' will be issued in the same circumstances that KH mentioned, but these aren't that common.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Well you can still refuse to answer if the questions will incriminate you.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I think the interest of utterly unaffected third parties to know all the particulars of a case are secondary to the rights of the defendant in the case. Those other parties that are directly affected have the right to be in the courtroom, or contct people who are.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have been led to believe that if you're given immunity from any subject brought up by the questions then you can be forced to testify, since your right against self-incrimination cannot be invoked when the government has given you immunity from prosecution.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

I have been led to believe that if you're given immunity from any subject brought up by the questions then you can be forced to testify, since your right against self-incrimination cannot be invoked when the government has given you immunity from prosecution.

I think that you still don't have to testify... just that you immunity gets taken away then .

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      It depends on the nature of the immunity grant.

There are two problem areas - one where a crime (or related crimes) may be chargeable in different jurisdictions, and the other where you may have a limited grant of immunity about a particular subject, but that subject is part of a broader criminal enterprise.

Imran - if you refuse to testify after a properly scoped grant of immunity, then you get OJ plus whatever you could be charged with once the immunity grant is revoked.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Numb nuts?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

MtG... what's you take on this matter?
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Numb nuts?

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ooops

Comment

From what I've seen lately, defense lawyers are all too happy to put on the makeup and get in front of the camera. What do you do with those types?
                                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                                X