No announcement yet.

Depleted Uranium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know WWII had air-dropped torps, but I was dreaming of cruise missile turning into torp at 10 mile range or whatever. Eliminates need for popup maneuver (which is, I would think, most critical time)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Plus the torp could extend a 3-meter whip antenna and home in via radar instead of just sonar....
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That antenna better have a strong base.
        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
        XGalaga.

Comment

Ah crap. Need dish.

Okay. It gets its orders via satellite and GPS...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            Plus the torp could extend a 3-meter whip antenna and home in via radar instead of just sonar....
            ASROC is sorta like that. But I think it is a rocket vice a cruise missile in terms of the preflight. No dorkiy antennas though.

Comment

Ah crap. Need dish.

Okay. It gets its orders via satellite and GPS...
              But that requires you to keep comms with it. It is often desirable to have a weapon that doesn't need comms. (jamming and the like).

Comment

You like your torps smooth?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by TCO

But that requires you to keep comms with it. It is often desirable to have a weapon that doesn't need comms. (jamming and the like).
                  Fine. You stuff a jihadi into it and add a periscope...

But now I'm just stealing ideas from the IJN...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The Instand Jihad Nations?
                    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                    XGalaga.

Comment

Imp. Jap. Navy
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Kaitens (sp?) IIRC
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You like your torps smooth?
                          Nice flat head on the end of the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            what did you see at the border?
                            New vintage SPs. Both E2 or E3, one male (alleged) one female (cute). Guy looked like the age, physique, and all around rough-toughness to be asking me if I wanted paper or plastic. Girl had mascara, had her hair all nicely washed and conditioned and shiny, done up in a nice little (undoubtedly regulation) bun/knot thing in the back underneath that silly ass cap you squiddies make the girl-squiddies wear. She looked like the average 20-21 year old cutie-fluff that serves me frappucinos in Starbucks, not some rough, tough, drunk sailor on shore leave chop-busting SP.

It was really pathetic, actually. Can't you guys recruit badasses any more?
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I figured it was something like that.

hey, on my ships, all the girls were big and looked like dy-- I mean lesbos . Is that more to your liking?

SP's are a joke anyways. They always have been. Just a joke duty assignment for worthless low grade with nothing better to do. When carriers pulled into port, they'd assign all sorts of people with little training for SP duty. They aren't real master at arms rated people. There are real master at arms rates. I did temporary duty in security division, and worked with real master at arm rates. They are a little tougher than your average squid. Though I still wouldn't take them in a fight over a marine . With a few exceptions though. I did know a couple who were into martial arts and such, and many of them were heavy into weightlifting- which doesn't say much for their fighting capabilities. But at least they can someone drag a drunk squid into the brig.

Comment

SPs are cooks with a gun. They are usually MS's. The other ratings are too much in demand for real shore tours.

Comment

Working...
                                X