Clear All

No, because you're a halfbreed
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
      "State" can also sometimes refer to an entire nation, government, military, and all, whereas people may use "government" to refer specifically to people who work for the state and aren't military (I wouldn't really call a grunt in the Army part of the "government"). Apart from that optional distinction, they mean the same thing.
      Most certainly soldiers are government employees: who pays their checks?

To use the dictionary yet again: hehe

Government:1. the exercise of authority over a state, district, organization, institution, etc.; direction, control;rule, management b) the right, fucntion, or power or governing. 2. a system of ruling, controlling, etc. b) an established system of political administration by which a nation, state, district, etc. is governed. 3.all the people or agencies that administer or control the affairs of state, nation..etc. 4. The executive or administrative branch of government of a particular nation as constituted by a political party or coolition in power 5.[now rare] a governed territory.

State:1. a set of circumstances or attributes characterizing a person or thing at a given time...(and other non related definitions)...5. a) the power or authority represented by a body of people politically organized under one government, esp. an independent government, within a territory or territories having defined boundaries. b)such a body of poeple, body politic. (applies to US english) 6. any of the territorial and political units that together consitute a federal government, such as the U.S.

A state needs a government, but a ogvernment does not need a state.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Woldiers are employees of the government, but not members of the government.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Soldiers are a part of the State's apparatus (i.e. are members of it)
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            There is a difference between "the state" and "the government": The government is transiatory, refering to either one executive's term or more likely one consitutional regime (Like in France, first republic, 2nd republic, 1st empire, 2nd, and then the monarchies, different houses, blah) the State is, well, no as transiatory. NOw, the distinction you make as far as powers are concerned is faulty: all those things fall under Government, since each government makes new policies for law enforecement and defense (offense).

As for how the left and right stand on the issue: I do think the right cares more about "the state" than the left, and presses for policvies they think will enhance or perpetuate "the state"more than the left.
            As to the nature of my question, let's just say I agree with this answer.
            Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

A state needs a government, but a ogvernment does not need a state.

How is that?
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
              X