State vs Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State vs Government

In my opinion there's a difference between Government (democratic process, social infrastructure) and State (Military, Law-enforcement).

The Left tends to be pro-Government, the Right tends to be pro-State.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

at first i thought you meant a difference between the levels of government, but i see that you don't really mean that now. you might wanna clarify that, as some people here will misunderstand. . .

anyway, yes, your right. The differences between the two aren't part of any definition really, it's just the result that seems apparent when you look at the way we have divided powers in the US. The constitution gives some specific powers to State governments, and keeps some powers for itself. If you examine other countries, you will find those same powers divided up differently.

Hopefully that made sense.
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

BUNCH OF BULL***T. There is no difference between the government and the state. Even according your definitions, which are wrong, you can't take them apart.

This is coming from a lefty, btw.

YAY GOVERNMENT! BOO STATE!
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

The United States is built on State's rights, no matter what Azazel boos.
        I don't particularly agree with your analogy though.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's a rough analogy, I suppose the Presidents is there to resolve the clashes of interests that arise from the overlap (with Republican Presidents favouring the State and Democrat Presidents favouring Government, government being things like healthcare, education, welfare for the people as opposed to welfare for the corporations, etc.)
          Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            The United States is built on State's rights, no matter what Azazel boos.
            I don't particularly agree with your analogy though.

a)That's not what I was talking about.
            b)If it was built on states' right, why aren't you a confederate slave driver?
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Hung up on that, are you?

Let me ask this. Why are there no uniform laws regarding murder and drug use?
              Why don't be skip forward a couple of centuries?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

why are there federal laws on issues not concerning the state then?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Exactly, Azazel. Thank you.

Comment

I meant the "federal government".
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

So did I.

Comment

Ahh, sweet confusion.

This thread is one of my 'multi-directional interesting point generators' I think.
                        Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Actually State vs. Gorvernment is a very complex issue. It's one of those questions that can't be given a definate answer for. Even if it has been very largely discussed in political science.
                          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

There is a difference between "the state" and "the government": The government is transiatory, refering to either one executive's term or more likely one consitutional regime (Like in France, first republic, 2nd republic, 1st empire, 2nd, and then the monarchies, different houses, blah) the State is, well, no as transiatory. NOw, the distinction you make as far as powers are concerned is faulty: all those things fall under Government, since each government makes new policies for law enforecement and defense (offense).

As for how the left and right stand on the issue: I do think the right cares more about "the state" than the left, and presses for policvies they think will enhance or perpetuate "the state"more than the left.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Slowwhand, you are refering to separation of powers in a federal system, I'm not sure if that is what the thread starter is talking about.

Problem_child: I believe your perception is that government has different responsibilities. The term "state" refers to two things...

1. a level of government in the federal system
                              2. a synonym of government

PC: is your post about how government should be organized at the federal level? if not, please elaborate.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X