No announcement yet.

Great SciFi ideas, that will never be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asimov's three laws of robotics immediately spring to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
      The Worthing Saga includes some disconnected short stories about Capitol at the end, but the main story is about 250-300 pages in length (IIRC) and takes place thousands of years after Abner Doon destroys the Empire. It's primarily told as a series of dreams experienced by one of the main characters, though, so it sort of reads a bit like a collection of short stories.

I didnt know Card wrote something about the period after the fall of the empire.

My "to read" list expands yet again.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Don't worry, I haven't spoiled anything -- you figure out that the Empire has been destroyed within the first coupla pages. I highly recommend the book -- it's one of my favorites.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by rah
          I read Kiln People a while back. I really liked the first 90% of the book. The last 10% was a bit much. (with the exception of the one clay vs. the missle launcher)

But overall, a very entertaining book with a great premise. I wish I had a clay doing my job today so I could be golfing.
          So would you need an orange, a green, a gray, an ebony, or an ivory ?
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I like Brin's books, especially the Earthclan trilogies. Stephen Baxter also writes good books..very 'hard' scifi material.

Comment

i liked brin's uplift series too. i also doubt that world will exist, mainly because either a) science will stagnate as religion overpowers it (i like 'em both, but they both have their proper place. neither one can be--or should be--a replacement for the other), b) we'll kill off the species described (dolphins are rather tasty...in my tuna salad), or c) we'll kill ourselves before then.
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                So would you need an orange, a green, a gray, an ebony, or an ivory ?
                Ebony or Ivory, of course.
                But I would have a green for posting here.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The Heechee(sp?) saga... with putting your brain into a comp when you die...
                  cIV list: cheats
                  Now watch this drive!

Comment

Well, perhaps an obvious one is psychohistory by Asimov.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                    X