Exceptional Drum Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceptional Drum Parts

Everyone knows that the main basis for music is rhythm. It's drum base can make a mediocre creation great, and a great creation a mediocre one.

Most drum parts are sadly quite 'standard' to the point one would think a basic drum machine was used.

I wish to dedicate this thread to famous music pieces which have an exceptionally good drum part, which not only 'adds' to the music, but is an active part of it.

One group which usually integrates drum beat as the main element of the melody is Metallica, but I wouldn't want to dedicate a thread to them.

I wish to draw attention to Styx - Lady. It has an exceptional drum piece which gives the heart and soul to the music. It is important however to listen to the original recording from the late 70s, since the new version (circa 1995?) though somewhat better in quality, is very much lacking a good drum setup and performance.

conclusion: listen to the original recording of "lady" with a good set of speakers, and notice how unlike in most songs, where you hear 2, maybe 3 differet drums, you can hear a whole drum symphony.

I don't know that I agree with your analysis, but before anyone else jumps in with it I'll say "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

the drums at the end of air's radio #1 are fantastic
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Check out "Toad" by Cream. Peter Baker has a 12.5 minute drum solo in that song.

Comment

"Yoo doo right" by Can. Jaki Liebezeit's drums pin down the entire song, but halfway through he just lets rip with a solo. It's like an avalanche.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            I don't know that I agree with your analysis, but before anyone else jumps in with it I'll say "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly.
            Hey, what's up with your musical taste? Someone so politically incorrect, yet humming the same songs I do? Shame on you...

On drum parts: Ringo in I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
            And notifying the next of kin
            Once again...

Comment

Sometimes good drums just blow you away in terms of accuracy/incessancy/loudness/sensitivity, but I've found a special place in my heart for drum parts that work on a more understated level than that, where the drummer brings attention to himself/herself not through how exceptional a drummer he is but through how creatively he can use his instrument as a song-writing tool. To me, a truly successful drummer is one which, in addition to carrying a song rhythmically or adding an extra dimension to it also uses the drums as an entirely hook-based instrument, creating memorable fills, rhythms and bridges that compete on an equal basis for the listeners attention with the riffs and licks and choruses other instruments provide.

A very good example of someone who while never being an exceptionally expressive drummer nevertheless manages to out-hook the vast majority of riff-makers and melody-writers is Kinks drummer Mick Avory. Most notably his genius (combined, to be fair, with Ray Davies', who produced and artistically co-ordinated the thing) comes through on the inseparable unit that was The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society (1968). Entirely subdued, with no hard hits or complex, solo-like sections, it becomes a perfect, pop-making part in the complex of other instruments, never too loud or too quiet, and always doing something intensely interesting that, if you care to focus on it, makes you mime air-drumming in delight. If you don't focus on it it insiduously lodges itself into your memory popping up at the most unexpected times. The perfect drum part from the most perfect "normal" production of all time.
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed Sometimes ...time.
                Once again...

Comment

I am with Huey on this one. Ringo again, but this time with "Never Without You".

"And your song will play on without you, and this world won't forget about you...."

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Bee
                    I am with Huey on this one. Ringo again, but this time with "Never Without You".

"And your song will play on without you, and this world won't forget about you...."
                    I don't know that song, is it about John's murder?
                    Once again...

Comment

George's. Last Ringo's album. A five stars one.

Comment

oh, btw, Slowhand (the real one) plays guitar in that song.

Comment

George's. Last Ringo's album. A five stars one.
                          Ringo made a ***** star album?

I have his second album, the one all four Beatles play on, only not on the same songs...
                          Once again...

Comment

oh, btw, Slowhand (the real one) plays guitar in that song.
                            After Derek And The Dominoes I lost track of Clapton (ie I didn't like much of what he did) but I'm sure to check out Ringo's album. Thanks.
                            Once again...

Comment

If you're a true Beatles fan I bet you will enjoy it quite a lot This one and Brainwashed (George's) are simply gorgeous. To me both albums rank among the very best any ex-Beatle has ever done.

Comment

Working...
                              X