Clear All

• Help Siro pick a graphics card

1. browse the different vga cards list.
    2. recommend Siro something for less than 700 shekels

siro's requirements:
    1. good 2D (hi res. no jumpy movies)
    2. good 3D (for RON and such)
    3. able to work with pentium II 400
    4. will not cause much trouble or conflicts (if you know something is inherently evil, recommend against it)

PS: I have an AGP slot (doesn't that sound kinky? )

EDIT : I had some difficulties with the striking effect. But I left an interesting effect for you to enjoy

I don't know the differences between different companies, nor do I know the difference between radeon and geforce, nor do I know what geforce MX is better...

So if you have the will power - please elaborate

The list:
    (crossed, means too expensive)

Chaintech
    GF 2 MX400 32MB - 150 NIS
    GF 4 MX440 DDR 64MB,TV - 240 NIS
    GF 4 MX440 DDR 128MB,TV - 310 NIS
    GF FX5200 128MB AGPx8,TV,DVI - 450 NIS
    GF FX5600 256MB AGPx8,TV,DVI - 1090 NIS
    GF FX5200 Ultra 128MB AGPx8,TV,DVI - 1230 NIS

ASUS
    V9180 GF4 MX440 64MB,TV,AGPx8 - 380 NIS
    V9280 Ti4200 64MB,TV,DVI,AGPx8 - 770 NIS
    V9280 Ti4200 128MB,TV,DVI,AGPx8 - 880 NIS
    V9520 FX5200 64MB,TV - 430 NIS
    V9520 FX5200 128MB,TV - 520 NIS
    V9560 FX5600 128MB,TV,DVI - 1070 NIS
    V9900 FX5800 128MB,TV,DVI - 2050 NIS

Leadtek
    GF 4 MX440SE DDR 64MB,TV - 260 NIS
    GF 4 MX440 DDR 64MB,TV +VIVO - 320 NIS
    GF 4 MX460 DDR 64MB,TV +VIVO - 350 NIS
    GF 4 Ti4200 128MB,DVI,vivo - 830 NIS
    GF FX5200 64MB AGPx8,TV - 460 NIS
    GF FX5200 128MB AGPx8,TV - 590 NIS
    GF FX5600 128MB AGPx8,VIVO - 1070 NIS
    GF FX5600 256MB AGPx8,VIVO - 1230 NIS
    FX5600 Ultra 128MB AGPx8,VIVO - 1350 NIS

TYAN
    Techayon G9700Pro 128Mb,TV,DVI - 1830 NIS

Sapphir (ATI)
    RADEON 9100 TV,DVI 64MB - 380 NIS
    RADEON 9100 TV,DVI 128MB - 460 NIS
    RADEON 9200 TV,DVI 64MB - 440 NIS
    RADEON 9200 TV,DVI 128MB - 500 NIS

ATI
    RADEON 9500Pro TV,DVI 128MB - 1190 NIS
    RADEON 9600Pro TV,DVI 128MB - 1120 NIS
    RADEON 9800Pro TV,DVI 128MB - 2430 NIS

MSI
    GF 4 Ti4200 128MB AGPx8,DVI - 720 NIS
    GF 4 Ti4200 128MB AGPx8,DVI,vivo - 790 NIS
    GF 4 Ti4800SE 128MB AGPx8,DVI,vivo - 990 NIS

ABIT
    GF FX5200 128MB AGPx8,TV - 490 NIS
    GF 4 Ti4200 64MB TV - 650 NIS
    GF FX5600 256MB AGPx8,TV,DVI - 1080 NIS
    GF FX5800 128MB AGPx8,TV,DVI - 2550 NIS

Gainward
    GF FX5200 64MB AGPx8,TV - 450 NIS
    GF FX5600 256MB AGPx8,TV,DVI - 1180 NIS
    Last edited by Sirotnikov; July 9, 2003, 20:16.

technophiles? where art thou?

Comment

The site design is downright horrible. Ugh.

Below 700 shekels, I'd think either the Radeon 9100 (around 400 shekels) or the GeForce4 Ti 4200 with 64MB of memory (640 shekels iirc) would be good choices. They aren't equivalent cards, the Ti 4200 is better, but all the other Radeon cards are a bit too expensive. So I think in your situation I'd take the Ti 4200. NVidia drivers are said to be better (easier, less problems) than the ATi ones, but I have no personal experience and the ATi drivers are supposedly getting better.

Of course, if you have a P2 400, the Ti 4200 won't necessarily help you. What sort of a system do you have altogether? You do have an AGP slot to put the card in?

Oh and MX's aren't better. I think I read somewhere that a GeForce4 MX equals a 'regular' GeForce2 in some respects. Oh and card manufacturers (Leadtek, Sapphire etc.) should be of no consequence, the chips are pretty identical. The quality of the memory might vary but that's of importance mainly to overclockers.

(I have no deeper knowledge of graphics cards but I've read a lot of threads like this lately)
      Last edited by Kassiopeia; July 9, 2003, 18:27.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

On a PII 400 anything better than a GeForce 2 is a waste of time IMO

Comment

On a PII 400 anything better than a GeForce 2 is a waste of time IMO
          Yeah, I'd rather save for an entirely new inexpensive-ish system. If he has an integrated video card to top it off, he'd need a PCI card which are also a waste of time, and money.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

TI 4200 is a nice card, but reds is right. On a PII, you won't really notice anything past an old TNT2 card. I dunno about there, but here Athlon 2600+ boards and processors are less than $100, and a stick of 512 runs around $50-$60.
            "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Athlon 2600+ boards and processors are less than $100, and a stick of 512 runs around $50-$60.
              Even a 1700+ (60 euros here) with 256 megs (40 euros) would be more than enough compared to a P2. Add a motherboard (~90 euros), use your old case and drives, get a new power source (300 or 350W, ~60 euros?), a cooler for the processor (~15 euros), and you have a decent computer.

I can understand Siro if he simply can't afford more than 700 shekels though. I've been there. I'm sorry but a new graphics card won't do it.
              Last edited by Kassiopeia; July 9, 2003, 18:42.

Comment

A good rule of thumb is to aviod any graphics cards with MX in their name.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Sounds like you don't have enough to properly update your system and upgrading to something already a generation old isn't a wonderful feeling.

AMD are no longer the price performance wonder they once were. The XP2600 isn't great price/performance value.

The sweet spot right now is a P4 2.6C on an Abit IS-7 with a Radeon 9500 (pro? i can't recall.)

hope this helps... although I understand if you can't afford it you can't afford it...

Comment

You do have an AGP slot to put the card in?

Of course

I will upgrade to a Pentium 4 some time later this year.

But meanwhile, I can't afford a more expensive graphics card.

700 is the top limit. up to 500 would be preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritof1202
                      Sounds like you don't have enough to properly update your system and upgrading to something already a generation old isn't a wonderful feeling.

AMD are no longer the price performance wonder they once were. The XP2600 isn't great price/performance value.

The sweet spot right now is a P4 2.6C on an Abit IS-7 with a Radeon 9500 (pro? i can't recall.)

hope this helps... although I understand if you can't afford it you can't afford it...
                      Actually 2600+ is. Why? Because intel don't give you anything good for 100 $ / €.
                      If your going to go for 200 $ / € + priced CPU then consider p4's

Comment

I will upgrade to a Pentium 4 some time later this year.

But meanwhile, I can't afford a more expensive graphics card.

700 is the top limit. up to 500 would be preferable.
                        Hmm... by upgrading to P4 you mean getting a new motherboard, a new processor and new memory right? What are you going to do with a new graphics card before that? Their prices might drop and you'd be better off buying the card along with your main upgrade than getting it now for no gain.

If your going to go for 200 $ / € + priced CPU then consider p4's
                        Yeah, if you have the money, go for Pentium 4 by all means, but on the "budget" prices the Celeron's a joke compared to Athlon XPs. After 2600+ though the processors get much more expensive compared to the speed.
                        Last edited by Kassiopeia; July 9, 2003, 20:25.

Comment

hi ,

héy , get an amd

and wait a bit longer , some of those expensive one shall drop the prize , ...... ( some shall be around nis 750 , the ones that are now around nis 1050 )

have a nice early morning
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

ok i don't need advice on upgrading motherboard and stuff.

I got my dad to pay for a new graphics card, and that is what I'm going to buy now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                              ok i don't need advice on upgrading motherboard and stuff.

I got my dad to pay for a new graphics card, and that is what I'm going to buy now.

hi ,

*now* , ......

how on earth did you do that , ......

allas , buy an amd

well good luc kwith it

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                              X