Black and White, or Shades of Gray ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and White, or Shades of Gray ?

In the past I've been told that I see things too much in a Black and White perspective; that many gray areas exist.

Not surprising, I suppose, I disagree.

IMO, the only reason for gray's existence is that the point in question hasn't been clearly defined, and laziness in that regard exists.
    Either the one posing the question should define the question more completely all on their own, or the person responding should ask questions that get to the details.
    I think if one breaks down a subject to the core, an opinion is always available.

One reason I ask, I see the effect of gray here quite often.

What do you think?
    No flames from me on this, I promise.
    Really.
    I swear.
    Black and White
    25.00%
    Gray Will Always Have A Place With Me
    75.00%
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Allways gray.

Edit: OOPS! not allways of course

Comment

I agree Sloww.

The only time grey's exist are when the situation hasn't been adequatly defined. Everything should be black or white. However, that is not always the case, but in those cases more inquiry should be made to turn them black or white...

All it means by saying that you only see things in black or white is that you have actually bothered to make an informed opinion.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Damn, Japher. I like the hell out of you.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I agree everything is always white or black

however, I think that it is hard to see whether it is white or black sometimes (and people should be aware of that)

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

To some extent I agree. Excuse my english, hard to explain my opinion on this one.

Depends what we're talking about. If you base your opinion on facts that are undisputed, then yes, it is black and white.

We can expect and assume, that facts are not in conflict. Or if they are, then some facts are not exactly facts, and then there must be more researching of the facts to determine what's really the case.

And, when it comes to a thing where facts are not much, or that the facts can go either way depending how an individual interpretes it.. it could be argued there are grey areas. But then again, to the individual who is observing the situation.. he/she must do the thinking and decide what to think of it, hopefully based on facts and less on emotion and feelings. So, to everyone there should be a side, black and white. If grey areas exists, then the individual has not chosen his/her side on the issue and should do more research about the situation if it is important.

Damn it. I can't explain it. Well this matter should be on individual level, not in general IMO. In general, there are feelings and emotions, which sometimes blurs the undisputed facts and affects how people decide.

It's problematic though, because feelings and emotions often are based on memories, and are those memories facts? Not necessarily.

Perhaps everything is black and white, and everyting else someone calls the grey area is just a matter of taste and that's it. Or lack of facts.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

But as of now, I'm still undecided
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I don't care, really.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Damn, Japher. I like the hell out of you.
                  I like me too
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

black or white, i'd have to say, only where there is the presence of enough factual infomation to make an informed decision.

shades of grey occur everywhere else, primarily because we a) live in an amoral world and are trying to impose morality in this world, and b) frequently do not have enough information to make an informed decision.

thus, while it in civil society, killing someone for personal gain is a black-or-white manner (it's wrong), in the absence of society, personal gain might involve self-preservation, thus killing would be good.
                    B♭3

Comment

[img]http://www.adoredcelebrities.com/jessica/images/25.jpg[/img
                      (1) Disgusting
                      (2) Badly photoshopped
                      (3) You failed to type it right.

EDIT: He fixed it, but I'll still stick with 3.

Comment

Shades of grey: you can;t really tell well the difference betweent he darkest grey and pure black, nor with the lighetst shade of grey and pure white. Most things can NOT be firmly defined.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

sometimes black and white, sometimes not
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Gray. It is good to be reasonable, look at things with an open mind, and be willing to compromise.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Everything is in shades of grey. Nothing is totally black or white.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X