No announcement yet.

I have kittens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get them a good scratching post (wood post with sisal rope all around) and reinforce them using that. For them to like it, they have to be able to really dig in, without the post moving on them. They do it to stretch their back muscles and destress (declawed cats can't do it, and tend to be more neurotic both from the tension and stress, and the idea that they can't swack whatever bothers them)

Just keeping claws trimmed would be good enough. I'd recommend fixing them at about five months, at the latest - they'll be big enough, but by six, they're a lot more likely to learn how the equipment works, and get into some bad habits (spraying, prowling, more dominant behavior, etc.)
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Cruel.
      Well that's why I included "even". Always teased anyone who did this as a vivisectionist. But now I have cats that will be indoor types and that bachelor couch...

Comment

Leather couches aren't that great of a scratching post material if you have a real one around.

There should also be scent based products that will help discourage them from getting on it, but without you smelling it, or messing up the leather.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
          Get them a good scratching post (wood post with sisal rope all around) and reinforce them using that. For them to like it, they have to be able to really dig in, without the post moving on them. They do it to stretch their back muscles and destress (declawed cats can't do it, and tend to be more neurotic both from the tension and stress, and the idea that they can't swack whatever bothers them)

Just keeping claws trimmed would be good enough. I'd recommend fixing them at about five months, at the latest - they'll be big enough, but by six, they're a lot more likely to learn how the equipment works, and get into some bad habits (spraying, prowling, more dominant behavior, etc.)
          I got them a good post. They don't really dig into the couch as much as the upholstered furntiure. But they like to use the back of the couch as a launching pad to jump to the mantle and such. So they have to dig in to launch.

The vet said 6 months to sterilize. Maybe 5 if I push it. Guess you are saying I should push it. Don't want any mountain cousin habits. I'm in Richmond now...

Comment

Had to take the sub up the James River at high tide.

Comment

you can try double sided tape on the surfaces they like to scratch. they despise sticky stuff.
              congrats on the children. if they're little and like to hide, put bells on em.
              Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

I know there hiding place. Behind the fridge. and they don't use it anymore anyway. And I just use a tease toy to get them out anyway.

I did the double sided tape for a gf who had a cat who would jump on the mantle where she had expensive vases. He was very unhappy. Lesson went away after a few months though...

Comment

they shake their little pawsies in disgust. but you have to do reinforcement therapy every so often, because they don't have long-term memory.
                  Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

like men?

Comment

Cats are very human in their behaviors - like men, or like women.

Nothing like the pitter patter of little feet.

Comment

yeah...it's pretty cool. I'm not sure where things are with Nena. She's been out of the country for a while and I haven't talked to her for 3 weeks.

Comment

If her mom is giving you kittens, though, you're practically kin already...

Comment

pics???
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Post some pics!

Also, after working out, rub your sweat on their scratching post. They'll like it even more if it smells like you.
                              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Or watch a video and put some candy on the top
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X