Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion of the United States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion of the United States?

I was watching a program about world opinion on the US. I knew things were bad... but geez... it made it seem like everyone in the world is screaming for US blood. Something like 70% of France had a negative opinion of America. Something like 70% of Russians genuinely feared American military action. (i dont remember the exact percentages from the poll they showed)

The people tried to explained the reasons for the anti-americanism, and said the main cause was the "your with us or against us" attitude and the general 'cowboy' and 'bulley' that the world perceives the US as.
    But this seems to simple... this doesnt seem to explain why so many people's opinion of the US has seemed to plummit over the years. Or is this all just my imagination? fed by shows like the one i saw?
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

I think it is a cute fertile land
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think many people are whining. I don't particularly like the US, but the thing is, most of the people that are whining about it, esp. Russians, and French, just hate the fact that it's not their country that is in a position to dictate things to the world, but the US is.

This doesn't mean I am for the US dictating world policy, god forbid. I just think that lots of people are hypocritical.

You know, in some threads about the usual screw-up of the US government, I want to come and mock it, and then a bunch of *******s come, and start to sling mud at the US like a bunch of baboons for all the wrong reasons, and targetting the wrong areas. I am actually forced to make a U-turn and defend the US! It's ****ing inconcievable! And you know that these people would go ape**** If you ever said anything like that about their country ( in the areas that matter, of course). And you've got nothing else to do, but shake your head, and walk away.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I think it kicks ass

Comment

Big, wealthy nation. Makes nice wine and terrible beer.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Big nation. Makes big crappy cars.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Overall positive. But not always. But then I think the same about Europe

I absolutely agree with Azazel´s comments - people are whining too much. Everyone can criticise everything, but in case the US many just seem to be whining.

This doesn't mean I am for the US dictating world policy, god forbid. I just think that lots of people are hypocritical.
              Absolutely agree.

And what I especially don´t like is when people only see those points of the US that fit into their anti US views. I would ciriticise some US actions too, but still one has to admit that there are lots of positive elements too. The old "Us is soooo evil" story is just pathetic nonsense.
              Blah

Comment

The problem is that Americans get increasingly identified with the nutjobs running your country at the moment. Until recently, most people here saw Americans as a bit crazy, but overall nice, and politicians are politicians. Now the nicest things I hear about Americans is pigs, idiots and *******s.

Yet if it comforts you, the attitude does not "scream for blood", just for "**** off".
                “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

The US is not monolithic.

A lot of Usians are nice and helpful, others are not. It's just that now most people from the rest of the world detest the W regime.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think it is a cute fertile land
                    Yes, we must thank Canada for all that nice soil the glaciers brought our way.

Considering what powerful nations have done in the past, the USA certainly deserves alot of credit for not trying to steamroll everyone although we do stick our noses into what other peoples are doing far too much. I mean, it's not like the US has tried to conquer a 1/4th of the world like some of those European countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                      I think many people are whining. I don't particularly like the US, but the thing is, most of the people that are whining about it, esp. Russians, and French, just hate the fact that it's not their country that is in a position to dictate things to the world, but the US is.

You know, in some threads about the usual screw-up of the US government, I want to come and mock it, and then a bunch of *******s come, and start to sling mud at the US like a bunch of baboons for all the wrong reasons, and targetting the wrong areas. I am actually forced to make a U-turn and defend the US! It's ****ing inconcievable! And you know that these people would go ape**** If you ever said anything like that about their country ( in the areas that matter, of course). And you've got nothing else to do, but shake your head, and walk away.
                      great post I agree 100%, at least, that was my perception of things.
                      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

I have a very negative opinion of the policies of the US. And I feel highly distantiated of the "American mentality" in its high degree of individualism.

I fear the weight of religious fundamentalism has in the most powerful country in the world, and I fear as the absolute American confidence in that it never does wrong.
                        But my highest disappointment was that, after Sept. 11, the population stopped so quickly to wonder why. Instead of looking at their own role in the hatred they bring, the Americans resumed chest thumping louder than before, convincing themselves they were "hated because of their freedom", that "God was on their side", and generally to doubt even less of themselves (don't get me wrong, I don't think Americans deserved Sept. 11, nor that they're the only culprit of Antiamericanism, far from it).

The Day America stops being so self confident and arrogant will be the day when my opinions towards America will become better.

Otherwise, I really enjoy discussing with Americans. Save for the uber nationalism, the American folk seem to be cool people
                        Last edited by Spiffor; July 6, 2003, 06:23.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I like America. I especially like American people, because I think they are nice and are genuine people.
                          They are easy to talk to, and most of the times help you if you just ask it.

But I think many people really don't have anything against American people. They just hate the Bush regime. American style is usually in your face style, and many people don't like it. You see, the US is a big country with lots of influence and interests. There are people that interests are in conflict with the US interests. So it pisses people off.. But I agree, people whine way too much. They should concentrate on helping themselves, and not *****ing about others and blaiming them for their own lazyness. It's easy to point fingers, but it's better to look in the mirror and ask yourself if there was something you could have done better.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            I have a very negative opinion of the policies of the US. And I feel highly distantiated of the "American mentality" in its high degree of individualism.

I fear the weight of religious fundamentalism in the most powerful country in the world, as well as the absolute confidence in that it never does wrong.
                            But my highest disappointment was that, after Sept. 11, the population stopped to wonder why so soon. Instead of looking at their own role in the hatred they bring, the Americans resumes chest thumping louder than before, convincing themselves they were "hated because of their freedom", that "God was on their side", and generally to doubt even less of themselves (don't get me wrong, I don't think Americans deserved Sept. 11, nor that they're the only culprit of Antiamericanism, far from it).

The Day America stops being so self confident and arrogant will be the day when my opinions towards America will become better.

Otherwise, I really enjoy discussing with Americans. Save for the uber nationalism, the American folk seem to be cool people
                            I hardly think american thinks it never does wrong. I just think it always has confidence that its next decision is the correct one. obviously leaving afghanistan alone so long was a huge mistake.

do u not work like that? more of a self doubting man?

Comment

Both Hersh & Spiff

Oh and Kyoto
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X