No announcement yet.

Same-Sex Marriage: Canada, Europe and the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That very column you link to says itself that it's not representive of the gay community. I dunno, try reading it next time?

And that guy falls under the
    vengeful and resent the way they're treated in society

category.

And despite what you might think, anyone who says gays should not be allowed to marry is being insulting, is acting somehow superior and giving gays less rights than straight couples get.

Some of those people may not be bright enough to realize that, but that's their problem.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      That very column you link to says itself that it's not representive of the gay community. I dunno, try reading it next time?

And that guy falls under the
      vengeful and resent the way they're treated in society

category.

And despite what you might think, anyone who says gays should not be allowed to marry is being insulting, is acting somehow superior and giving gays less rights than straight couples get.

Some of those people may not be bright enough to realize that, but that's their problem.
      u demand the tax benefits that badly?

Comment

After reading his column it's pretty obvious to me that he really doesn't like gays.

1. The obvious "I have gay friends and coworkers who do not hate me!"
        2. Pointing out in parantheses that "gay activists" threw condoms around and torched a church in Montreal (this relates to his column, how?).
        3. Tried to excuse his column before he even wrote it
        4. Played the family card, "will my children be safe with all these homos around who hate me???"

I don't expect any more from Sun columnists. The Sun is a tabloid.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon
          u demand the tax benefits that badly?
          I demand to be given equal rights and not feel like a second-class citizen.

It's not just about tax benefits, it's about equality and principle.

Comment

I demand to be given equal rights and not feel like a second-class citizen.

It's not just about tax benefits, it's about equality and principle.
            so u want a piece of government paper saying ur married. but are willing to forgo the tax and healthcare benefits?

though the christians might want you to call it a civil union.

Comment

so u want a piece of government paper saying ur married. but are willing to forgo the tax and healthcare benefits?

How would forgoing tax and healthcare benefits be giving me equal rights?

though the christians might want you to call it a civil union.
              Hey, that's all good too, as long as the government only gives you civil unions to all couples, and marriages can still be done at churches.

In fact, that's how I think it should be done. There is no reason whatsoever for the government to be involved with a religious concept like marriage, especially if they're going to base legal rights on it and deny people marriage for their own religious reasons.

Comment

How would forgoing tax and healthcare benefits be giving me equal rights?

Hey, that's all good too, as long as the government only gives you civil unions to all couples, and marriages can still be done at churches.

In fact, that's how I think it should be done. There is no reason whatsoever for the government to be involved with a religious concept like marriage, especially if they're going to base legal rights on it and deny people marriage for their own religious reasons.
                I must have missed the part where a tax incentive is a right? maybe u'd like to explain to me where that is located.

Comment

I must have missed the part where a tax incentive is a right? maybe u'd like to explain to me where that is located.
                  *sigh*
                  A tax incentive isn't a right.

Being treated equally without discrimination by the government is.

And since the government deals with tax incentives, all couples should be allowed to be eligble for those tax incentives.

Freedom from oppression of religion of the state (separation of church and state) is also a right that is ignored by having the state use religious criteria to determine legal issues.

You're wasting your breath arguing about this, the courts has ruled it is unconstitutional to deny gays marriage, so whether you want to convince yourself otherwise is entirely your perogative, but you just look a tad bit dense.
                  Last edited by Asher; July 5, 2003, 16:36.

Comment

I never said deny them marriage. I simply asked u to point where the gov't handing out tax incentives is a right? obviously you know it isnt. I know it isnt.

taxes are not usually allocated fairly anyway. its usually some government imposition in an attempt to gain a benefit. in marriages case you are trying to create a favorable system to promote couples staying together so the children are raised w/ both parents.

now surely if the gov't wants it could give tax incentives to gay ppl. but I see no compelling argument as to why it HAS TO.

Comment

I don't see why the government has to give straight people tax incentives either. After all, it isn't a right!

Stunning argument, that.

Comment

lololol Asher r0x0rs my b0x0rs lolol OMG OMG !!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I don't see why the government has to give straight people tax incentives either. After all, it isn't a right!

Stunning argument, that.
                          exactly the point. they don't. taxes are like that. its means to ends sort of thing.

so u standing up and yelling and pissing about how its ur damn right. when its not. isnt polite.

Comment

exactly the point. they don't. taxes are like that. its means to ends sort of thing.

so u standing up and yelling and pissing about how its ur damn right. when its not. isnt polite.
                            Look at the title of this thread.

On my screen it says "Same-Sex Marriage: Canada, Europe and the United States", what does it say on yours? Does it say "Tax Incentives: Canada, Europe and the United States"?

You're the one that brought up tax incentives, then you tell me I'm not being polite because I'm saying it's my right to have tax incentives when I've clearly said:
                            *sigh*
                            A tax incentive isn't a right.

You have issues, man.

Comment

"And since the government deals with tax incentives, all couples should be allowed to be eligble for those tax incentives"

I clearly asked about the taxes. I said "civil union but no tax or healthcare benefits" and u sed the quote at the top. I didn't just randomnly spring this on u so dont pull that.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X