What does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean?

Here you can post things you've always wanted to know, but were too embarrased to ask.

Mine are mostly about english language and sayings:

What does catch 22 mean? I know it's catch but what does the 22 mean and is their a story behind this? What kind of catch is it, when it's catch 22?

Secondly, what does Apolyton mean?

Tack så mycket.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Re: What does it mean?

What does catch 22 mean? I know it's catch but what does the 22 mean and is their a story behind this? What kind of catch is it, when it's catch 22?
    My depression makes my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder worse. My OCD makes my depression worse.

Secondly, what does Apolyton mean?
    Ultimate.

Hmm:

Umm.....Why is Finland called Finland? Why not Legland? Or Rusland?
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Catch 22 is a book, by Joseph Heller. It's kind of a classic dilemma story.

Bomber pilot in WW2 wants to claim he's insane, too scared to fly.

The system says that if he wasn't too insane to fly, then he'd be insane and wouldn't be allowed to fly. But because he's scared of flying missions, that's normal so he isn't insane.

Catch 22. Good movie and a very funny/tragic book.

As for Apolyton, I don't know.
      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Read the book... Or see the movie, but the book is better.
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

Catch 22 is an all time classic by Joseph Heller who in his sardonic sense of humour tell the story of Captain John Yossarian, stationed at an airstrip on a Mediterranean island in World War II, and portrays his desperate attempts to stay alive. The novel was first published in 1961 and has sold millions of copies since then.

The catch in 'Catch 22' involves an Air Force regulation which considers a man as insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions. To be relieved from the dangerous combat duty, one has to make a formal request. But if one make the necessary request the very act of making the request proves that he is sane and therefore ineligible to be relieved.

The term catch-22 thereafter entered the English language with the meaning " a frustrating situation in which one is trapped by contradictory regulations or conditions." and later developed several additional senses. In 1994 Heller published a sequel entitled Closing Time, which details the current lives of the characters established in Catch-22.

KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Cruddy, wow, so there was a good story behind this. Thanks for educating me today

Thanks for the link Drake!

Tass, I don't know.. I guess because it's land of Finns.. Finland. It's Suomi in our language, so I guess that's what matters, and I'm embarrased to admit, I have no idea where it comes from .
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I loved the first half of the book.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Thanks for the link Drake!

You're welcome.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Actually the story sounds very interesting, I might get the book and read it. Catch 22.. I like it, good word. From now on I shall use this everytime I get the opportunity

Just to make it clear, you can ask anything you want, something you think most people know but somehow you have missed it and feel stupid.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Re: Re: What does it mean?

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                    Umm.....Why is Finland called Finland? Why not Legland? Or Rusland?
                    No, no, no. Legoland.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Very good link Drake.

For those who are interested in Closing Time, the sequel to Catch22, I read it recently... it's a good book, but it's not in the same league. Similar sort of black humour though - all based in the US this time.

OK, imponderables - what is the attraction of places like the UK for tourists? I really cannot understand WHY people want to come here and get ripped off.

Replies ONLY from people who have visited this place as a tourist - Why?
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                        OK, imponderables - what is the attraction of places like the UK for tourists? I really cannot understand WHY people want to come here and get ripped off.
                        Well there are some interesting bits, like looking at the stuff stolen from other countries in the Bristish Museum. Going to the London library and look at the place where Karl Marx did his work was quite facinating.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

yeah catch 22 is a great book, and the film version was brilliantly done as well
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Catch 22 sucks. Totally. Between every good paragraph there are 5 pages of ultra-boring stuff.
                            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

What is it with air conditioning and london hotels?

I was looking and even the posh old hotels just don't seem to believe in air conditioning.

Don't they have humidity in the UK??
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                              X