Might makes Right! ....or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might makes Right! ....or not?

Well, seeing this in several threads - do you think it is true? And why?

Oh, and before we start - could one enlighten me about the exact meaning of this line, because you can translate it in several ways into German (and I often notice that certain expressions have a different meaning in different languages).

In German "right" can be translated as

a) noun: "Recht" = the "law" generally
    b) noun: "Recht" = a specific right or set of rights (like human rights)
    c) adjective: "richtig" = means something is right or correct (here I assume it is used as morally right)

So does the line mean in English
    a) might makes (the law)
    b) might defines certain rights
    c) might makes everything to be ok, because (morally) right?

Or all three together, or the first two (which are quite similar, but IMO not totally the same)
    Blah

maybe it shouldn't, but practically yes.

and I must admit I've given up all resistance to it in the past months.

Comment

Might makes Right!

Could someone possibly explain why this idea has any merit whatsoever?
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

honestly who is going to say that having a larger gun is the basis for ur moral correctness? kind of a poor question don't u think.

might as well ask "do u believe in good parenting."

Comment

It basically means that the powerful make law. The ones in power decide how things are done. Also the powerful aren't usually challenged. Their justifications are usually accepted.

So, it a) and c).

--

And yes, I totally believe it.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Might makes Right! ....or not?

Originally posted by BeBro
            So does the line mean in English
            a) might makes (the law)
            b) might defines certain rights
            c) might makes everything to be ok, because (morally) right?

Or all three together, or the first two (which are quite similar, but IMO not totally the same)
            All 3 to some extent.

Might makes right means (to me at least) that the illegality or immorality of an action can be ignored because there is no-one who can successfully challenge such behaviour.
            Last edited by Dauphin; July 3, 2003, 15:43.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

the victors write the history books
              CSPA

Comment

dhtrhtddye
                Last edited by Gangerolf; July 3, 2003, 15:47.
                CSPA

Comment

Because it is how society has existed for centuries upon centuries?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Whether it does and whether it should are completely different things. I stick with shoulds because thats the way that progress can be made. "Does's" are for pragmatic cowards! :doitnow! jk

Therefore, I dont like the idea that power, law, justifications and action is taken by one powerful nation or body, simply because it is so. It can have all the power in the world, but it is still as subjective as the rest of us, therefore it is illogical for it to force its own view on us, because ours are as valid as theirs, indeed, theirs are necessarily invalid when dealing with others. Yes I'm a moral and cultural relativist.

Imran: Why do you believe it?

Just because realistically, one cant change it, is no basis for supporting it. If everyone had that attitude, can you imagine how much this planet would suck?
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

the observable fact that people who win makeup the law isn't all that fascinating. and neither is the morality of "does a bigger gun constitute your basis for being moral." so since u have two pretty benign things why ask?

unless of course there is someone here who would like to bring up an argument why someone's morality does come from the size of their gun.

Comment

I don't think so.

But neither do I think that a moral relativist has got something to complain about.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

So has rape and murder, just because its human nature, the politics of the schoolyard become no more rational, logical, or healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by elijah

Because the reality and the history says so. It's an extension of evolution's survival of the fittest on human societies.

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X