Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm in Oxford - for 5 weeks, what are the best things to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm... I think I picked the wrong summer to spend at Oxford (last summer), there seems to be more going on Apolytoner-wise this year
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Cambridge!

Jaguar Warrior, you need to change that smilie to a nice tasteful light blue
      "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

JW: How is it? Cambridge but Magdalene Nastiest college I've ever seen, the people are the snobbiest I have seen anywhere (and considering Oxford is usually more snobby than Cambridge IMHO, Magdalene is worse than the snobby oxford colleges).

Mac: 13 and 14 yr olds are going out to clubs. They don't just dress like it for fun. With drinking age at 18 here, and it being much more liberal than the US, many 13 and 14 year old girls that look a bit older can get in. Depends on which clubs you go to.

Have fun at the Zodiac. Nicest venue I've yet been to in Oxford (being the only one I've found anyone decent playing at ).
        Smile
        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
          JW: How is it? Cambridge but Magdalene Nastiest college I've ever seen, the people are the snobbiest I have seen anywhere (and considering Oxford is usually more snobby than Cambridge IMHO, Magdalene is worse than the snobby oxford colleges).
          Out of interest ... how do they pronounce "Magdalene" in Cambridge? Is it any different to the Oxford "Maudlin" pronunciation?
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Nah, Magdalene is pronounced Mawdlin, so same or similar to the oxford one. And yeah, I am not too fond of Magdalene college either (though I am rowing in one of their crews for the summer). They are very up predominantly public school (they got done for not accepting state school people a year or two back), and throw **** parties Now Clare or Selwyn...

Comment

Clare Cellars, the only place on Earth with a Streetfighter 1 arcade machine And I almost applied to Selwyn, but then I saw the light that is Oxford
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

The show at The Zodiac was great!

5 bands, 3 of which rocked, and one that had a decent beat.
                Acanite Thrill was great and I'd never heard of them before, Days of Grace was really good, but Atreyu stole the show.

My Uni isn't the only one at Oriel College either - Northern Illinois is here and Swandea College or something.
                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                New faces...Strange places,
                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

JW: How is it?
                  My teacher loves writing assignments way too much. I just finished an 8 page paper on britains international perspective on politics pre wwi. Sorry if I'm being lazy about capitalization, but i'm at an internet cafe so I want to type as much as possible in a short time.I went to london last week, and i'm going again tomorrow. is that gigantic ferris wheel thing fun? if we have time we're going there.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I hope you're all coming to the meeting on the 8th!
                    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Mac: 13 and 14 yr olds are going out to clubs. They don't just dress like it for fun. With drinking age at 18 here, and it being much more liberal than the US, many 13 and 14 year old girls that look a bit older can get in. Depends on which clubs you go to.

Have fun at the Zodiac. Nicest venue I've yet been to in Oxford (being the only one I've found anyone decent playing at ).
                      Are you a tab? Curses to you

Sorry, I was in Oxford on the Sunday but I never got the opportunity to get back in touch, especially with poly being so 'unreliable' at the moment...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                      X