No announcement yet.

The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club: Perdido Street Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh.. I see. Yeah, GM was kind of a rehash of RM: "we'll still have the revolution, but kinder and gentler."

Comment

Yeah, and Hiroko's way is all good and nice. BAH! I want REAL division and conflict among the first 100. That is what made RM good for me.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well,

Spoiler:
        the ones of the First 100 that were either on the side of the "evil corporations" or indecisive were pretty much killed off in the first book, so KSR lost what little ideological balance the protagonists had to begin with. In the second book, the big moral crises is Maya/Phyllis, meaning that the differences between the first 100 is merely one of degrees: in essence, the big issue was how violent should the revolutionary movement get?

Comment

I liked the book (it has been over a year since I read it)

I also noticed the grotesque

there were a few images that I am not eager to relive again

but even though that is true I enjoyed it, and am ok with it in my collection

I am just not sure when I will want to reread it

I remember thinking that a few things at the end were a liitle rushed (but that might have been compared to the first part)

I was expecting that birdlike being to have done something more heinous (I consider rape to be horrid, I was just expecting something more on the level of mass rapist/murderer)

more thoughts later (perhaps)

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

JohnT: Yeah, and that made it for me. You may be a commie, but at least make it interesting for those that ain't .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I AT LEAST read 30 pages before deciding if I hate it (like I did with Green Mars ).

You should have read a hundred. It doesn't get good until after the Hiroko BS.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Maybe I'll pick it up again. I HATE Hiroko!

Comment

Oh, and in regards to whether this book was science fiction... I'm not too sure. While most SF takes license with contemporary knowledge (eg, FTL), it can at least be said that SF science depends upon reasonable extrapolations from current knowledge.

This book doesn't. While a physics based upon potential pain is an intriguing concept, it isn't truly science nor is there evidence that such a thing is possible: I'm not even too sure how you could eat in such a world.

Comment

My favourite Mars trilogy characters are Sax, Nadia, Arkady, and Frank. Two of them are killed off in the first one and another is ruined in the third one.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

See. my book was so cool, it's invading other book threads.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I tried to read it in highschool (red mars)

it was one of the only books I didn't finish

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                        X