ReBuild Iraq.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReBuild Iraq.

Good evening sir, you are the New American Viceroy...er.."Interim Governor" of Iraq. It is up to you to fix the problem your predessescors created. And it wasn't Donny Rumsfeld's Half-ass plan, no sir.

The Rules are simple; No mass executions, make Iraq a viable member of the international community. The world is watching. Even more importantly, the President's re-election is next year.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Oh, and Mr. Viceroy, you've got to do this with no resources, no commitment, and absolutely no extra food for those Iraqis. Let them starve... less of them, that way.

My, what a fun job.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I think the post-war mess definitely sets back the Neo-Cons in the administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
        Oh, and Mr. Viceroy, you've got to do this with no resources, no commitment, and absolutely no extra food for those Iraqis. Let them starve... less of them, that way.

My, what a fun job.
        Not true. Proconsul Bremer has plenty of troops, the Iraqi oil reserve, and unlimited food supply at his disposal.

The problems are more related to high crime and unemployment rate.

Comment

Threadjack in one post! woot!
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless

Not true. Proconsul Bremer has plenty of troops
            For the population size of the country? Doubtful they can even rotate troops in and out, let alone have plenty.

, the Iraqi oil reserve
            Which is worth zero until it reaches a market.

, and unlimited food supply at his disposal.

The problems are more related to high crime and unemployment rate.
            So if the people aren't starving, why are they scraping a living by cannabalizing old munitions... and getting blown up in the process?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Note last paragraph "We are all poor, we don't have anything to eat and we could sell a tonne of copper for 500,000 dinars ($420)," he added.
            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

send workers out to build irrigation and roads. then, build a supermarket in baghdad. try to raise taxes, lower the science rate, and raise the luxury rate.

fortify several more mechanized infantry units in baghdad, so those resistors and partisans die away in a few turns.
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                send workers out to build irrigation and roads. then, build a supermarket in baghdad. try to raise taxes, lower the science rate, and raise the luxury rate.

fortify several more mechanized infantry units in baghdad, so those resistors and partisans die away in a few turns.
                No no no. Turn on the city governor to maintain happiness and let them starve. Then add foriegn labourers to the city (preferably from a destroyed civ, if not your own) so they known where their loyalties lie.

Oh yes, and destroy the last Iraqi settler unit so the civ dies...
                Last edited by Cruddy; July 1, 2003, 00:39.

Comment

Get support from local organizations, such as city polices and charismatic leaders + teams. Agree with them on minimal rules for the fight for power not being bloody (i.e minimal democratic rules so that the overthrow of these local authorities doesn't require a bloodbath).

Replace American and British troops progressively with native troops or policemen under American command. One of the challenges is to have the population accept the rules and its enforcers.

Use the troops to maintain the safety of aid's routes.

Divide reconstruction funding in 3 parts :
                  - the rebuilding of the rule of law. I.e having a real police, and beginning to develop a legislative body.
                  - the rebuilding of the oil industry. Big bucks are necessary for Iraq to be wealthy long term.
                  - the rebuilding of agriculture. The most urgent work. Have a self-sufficient agriculture, and there will be no need for food aid, and the logistical / happiness nightmare that comes along.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Again Spiffor has it right. However, I think Iraq can never be truly self-sufficient in agriculture. The population is too high for a desertificated Mesopotamia.

Otherwise, I think that rule of law comes before democracy. A constitution is needed before general elections can take place.

Comment

Why? It was like that when I got there...

j/k
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

That sounds a good plan Lord Merciless... going to take a while to get local leaders to stand up and start discussing it until the violent resistors get kicked and the basic needs are on tap.

But as a plan, I'd say yes.

EDIT: Well done Spiffor for getting the thread back on topic... thought I'd murdered it (oops).

Comment

Again Spiffor has it right. However, I think Iraq can never be truly self-sufficient in agriculture. The population is too high for a desertificated Mesopotamia.

Before Gulf War 1, IIRC, Iraq was the only country in the area producing enough food for its population. The both rivers allow for rich soils, which can make plenty of crops.
                          Iraq needed aid after Gulf War 1 because the whole agriculture had been let to rot or destroyed, and Saddam wouldn't use his resources into rebuilding it. He preferred his palaces way more than his population's survival.

Otherwise, I think that rule of law comes before democracy. A constitution is needed before general elections can take place.

I agree. I don't think the legislative body should be immediately elected, but it should be chosen by the Viceroy at first, with all the different populations in mind. This legislative body should learn to work on the priciple of consensus, and begin to elaborate laws.
                          The election of the legislative body should happen later, when the situation stabilises, and when a constitution is written (maybe by this very legislative body).
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

A constitution is needed before general elections can take place.

Ayatollah Sistani comes out against your edict. Says that general elections must preceed the writing of a constitution. Says that constitution must recognize the muslim nature of the country.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                            X