Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it comes to religion, are you a hypocrite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it comes to religion, are you a hypocrite?

A brief introduction to philosophy and philosophers with an overview of history of philosophy from the ancient times to the 21st century.

I took two direct hits. Ouch! But then again, I didn't bite any bullets.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

God is great
    Baked me a chocolate cake
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

the subjects to the threads in this forum are worse than the puns on the evening news.

well ok not worse.

In saying that God has the freedom and power to do that which is logically impossible (like creating square circles), you are saying that any discussion of God and ultimate reality cannot be constrained by basic principles of rationality. This would seem to make rational discourse about God impossible. If rational discourse about God is impossible, there is nothing rational we can say about God and nothing rational we can say to support our belief or disbelief in God. To reject rational constraints on religious discourse in this fashion requires accepting that religious convictions, including your religious convictions, are beyond any debate or rational discussion. This is to bite a bullet.

for one thing, I don't have religious convictions. for another I had already answered that god could do anything, and I think this includes the logically impossible. and thirdly I do believe rational arguments about faith are doomed to fail. so I say the game got gay on me.

that was all I got tho.

Comment

I bit one bullet,

Spoiler:
        on the "can god make square circles?" question
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

out of curiosity, the other answer would've made me get a direct hit.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
            out of curiosity, the other answer would've made me get a direct hit.
            evil trap. we should protest.

Comment

"The bitten bullet occurred because you responded in a way that required that you held a view that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable"

thats what biting a bullet is. pretty weak appeal to democracy in a philosophical battlefield. oh well.

Comment

Ho ho ho!

Battleground Analysis
                Congratulations!

You have been awarded the TPM medal of honour! This is our highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity neither being hit nor biting a bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and very well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, you avoided both these fates - and in doing so qualify for our highest award. A fine achievement!
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

its easy to get the medal of honour if u say god does exist. I went back n did it that way.

Comment

"The bitten bullet occurred because you responded in a way that required that you held a view that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable"

Source?

Hurray for unfounded and unsubstantiated declarations of what is right and normal!!
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Bollocks, UR.

That's just because I believe god could do things which are logically impossible.

Why do I have only the medal of distinction?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Source?

Hurray for unfounded and unsubstantiated declarations of what is right and normal!!
                        link on main page describing what the two offenses are.

Comment

No that wasn't directed at you - I was quoting from the site myself. I meant that I didn't understand how they could dictate what "most people" would find as strange or unpalatable.
                          They provide no proof ... they provide NOTHING .. and yet they want to declare my views as unpalatable ... those criminals!
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

What a great Fez quote.

Seriously, though, I could see it be valid, but my view about God being able to warp logic is completely correct. the Biblical God warps logic all the time. It's a mainstream view.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                              Bollocks, UR.

That's just because I believe god could do things which are logically impossible.

Why do I have only the medal of distinction?
                              Not bad

I agree with their analysis, though. If the Judeo-Christianity god is not bound by logic, it will become pointless to discuss about the issue.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X