Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cruddy
    Oh yes - one other piece of advice.

When testing motherboards, don't bother connecting drives at first. Just processor, memory and graphics cards should let it boot and do a RAM test.
    I actually thought of that and did it! During my 2nd try I had only processor, memory and graphic card and the HDD connected.

Still no signal whatsoever to the monitor and the motherboard turned on for just 10 secs or so like before.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
      Ok, on the outside the "new" (and burned) PSU has a whole list of specifications. Like a detail for every socket (or are they called jacks?) it has.
      Look for the overall Wattage (like I said, 235W or 300W). If you want to work it out yourself, multiply the V by the A on each rail (a rail is a different voltage supply - so 3.3V rail, 5V rail, 12V rail).

To avoid the technospeak in English, I just call them connectors. None of this jack and socket puzzle...

The old PSU doesn't have anything of that sort...
      Maybe, but the fact that it burned out suggests it wasn't up to the job. So getting beefy power supply for that board is a good idea, yes?

If you're talking about tne new PC I think they are connected. It does turn on for about 10 secs. Would it do that if they were not?
      The old PC hs them connected for sure.
      You are quite right, it would not turn on without the power switch on the case being connected to the motherboard. I just add reset as well...

Oh yes, might be an idea to reset old BIOS settings from this motherboard... Check the manufacturers website for a manual... Probably not necessary BUT a good idea when faced with an unknown motherboard.
      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Is it possible to take faster Celeron from the suspect board, and test in on your board? Do they connect the same?

I realise it won't run at full speed... but if the processor has blown, that would explain the motherboard powering not up. If the CPU is dead, it won't start.

WOULD NOT suggest taking the "good" processor and trying it on the "unknown" board - asking for trouble, the board could kill it if the board is damaged.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Look for the overall Wattage (like I said, 235W or 300W). If you want to work it out yourself, multiply the V by the A on each rail (a rail is a different voltage supply - so 3.3V rail, 5V rail, 12V rail).
          Will do. I don't have it in font of me right now.

Maybe, but the fact that it burned out suggests it wasn't up to the job. So getting beefy power supply for that board is a good idea, yes?
          I was talking about the PSU of the old PC.

But yeah you're right. What I will do is to get the manual downloaded from the website of the manufacturer and then go and get a PSU exactly as it is needed.

Maybe the PSU burned because it was not up to the job.

I also recall that my uncle had upgraded his PC. So it may be that they upgraed his motherboard, processor etc but left the old PSU in place...? And it burned, eventually.

Oh yes, might be an idea to reset old BIOS settings from this motherboard... Check the manufacturers website for a manual... Probably not necessary BUT a good idea when faced with an unknown motherboard.
          I already visited it trying to find some advice about the problem. I downloaded the manual too

Again thank you for your advices, they are very useful and let me figure out what is the best course of action

Comment

Is it possible to take faster Celeron from the suspect board, and test in on your board? Do they connect the same?
            I thought of doing that, they do connect the same, but the old motherboard says it supports only processors up to 433mhz, not 733mhz... Will it be ok if I do it?

WOULD NOT suggest taking the "good" processor and trying it on the "unknown" board - asking for trouble, the board could kill it if the board is damaged.
            I did that! Luckily it didn't damage it. But it still didn't make the motherboard run for more than 10 secs or so.

Comment

I thought of doing that, they do connect the same, but the old motherboard says it supports only processors up to 433mhz, not 733mhz... Will it be ok if I do it?
              It won't hurt it, although doubtful it will run at 733MHz... Mind you, it could run that fast... I just don't think it will.

It is OK to run a processor SLOWER than advertised...nobody wants to do it but it is OK. Same for RAM, you can put PC2700 (333MHz) RAM into PC2100 (266 MHz) socket and it will run fine at 266.

Even if it DOESN'T work, that doesn't confirm it as dead... just MUCH more likely.

I did that! Luckily it didn't damage it. But it still didn't make the motherboard run for more than 10 secs or so.
              I would say this is a GOOD sign. If the motherboard didn't damage it, then it shouldn't damage a new processor...

Oh yes, maybe PROCESSOR is OK but the RAM is not!

Have fun testing everything... consider yourself lucky you have 2 celeron systems to test between. Imagine if you had 1 celeron and 1 athlon... very tricky!

Comment

OK. Next test will be the new processor in the old board.

Again thanks

Comment

Does a new power supply work?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                  X