(obscure?) Question about British Banking Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (obscure?) Question about British Banking Laws

I just checked out smile.com, a bank I really want to open an account at due to their online ethical banking standards. However, it said "registered in England and Wales" at the bottom. Does this mean that if I go to university in Scotland, I'll be unable to access my bank account or what? Would getting an account from a Scottish bank be preferable? They do have Barclay's (where my current current account is) in Scotland, right?
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

ok. i went to smile.com and i don't know what it was, but it wasn't a bank site
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

ahh smile.co.uk

Comment

i'm trying to get a bank account here, but because i'm a foreigner its proving difficult. you would think they would want my business but it doesn't seem like it.

Comment

You WILL be able to get access to your cash via cash machines - and you can get access to other services online or over the phone. You probably won't have a local branch, but these days it doesn't mean a lot. The rules and regs cover the BANKS address, NOT the customers.

At the moment, Barclays have a loophole on one of their credit card offers - it effectively means you can get £5,000 at 0% interest. I'll dig around for the link that explains it... Give me a couple hours.
          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

You should have no problems accessing a England/Wales registered bank from Scotland . Scotland has always retained some independance when it comes to banking, and much more so with the recent devolution.. I can't see any problem with that.
            "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

But smile.co.uk is an internet bank...it doesn't have an address....does it? Oh, confuseded.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

That link for a free £5,000 loan

It's a tricky one to maintain, but this site is full of useful FREE financial advice.

Mods, please note the FREE. I am NOT plugging a service or a company here.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                  But smile.co.uk is an internet bank...it doesn't have an address....does it? Oh, confuseded.
                  If it is a UK bank, it will have a registered UK office somewhere in England and Wales.

Does that ease the confusion?

Comment

I also find it cute how Scotland issues it's own banknotes yet strange that the UK didn't put national symbols of all member countries onto it's notes like it did with coins.
                    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Many of the famous people on the notes comes from the different nations, but not sure if that covers the whole lot ??

Have you ever tried getting rid of a scottish note down South of England ??

oddly enough, the reverse is not a problem in the north of Scotland

Comment

I know that my work won't accept Scottish notes higher than £10. I've also heard it's hard to exchange them overseas yet the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce didn't blink when I handed them a Scottish £5 note.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Banks on the whole are fine to exchange them .. its when you give it to Mrs Miggins, in Mrs Miggins bakery .. you suddenly find she ain't taking it !!

Comment

Working...
                          X