X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How can you play God like that?!"
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Fish eye structure is different. We're more concerned with seeing at different light levels, they're more concerned with field of view and the peculiarities of sight under water.

I don't know of any fish that has the sort of dilating pupil/iris structure like most land mammals.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
        "How can you play God like that?!"
        Well think about it. Do we really know better? Than, say nature? I don't think so. I'm not against it for religious reasons you know.
        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

That's a good point... but this seems to be colour.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius

Well think about it. Do we really know better? Than, say nature? I don't think so. I'm not against it for religious reasons you know.
            a) This is completely aesthetic.
            b) GM crops are ok, too. their products are not toxic, or something. If they are, I want to see proof, and even such proof would only hold to a specific product.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm waiting for the miniture Tiger.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I'd like to have a Cheeta as a pet. **** nature.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

That's a good point... but this seems to be colour.

The first one is an octopus, and they're just anatomically weird.

The second one is just a continuation of the scaling pigment on the tissue covering the eye (like human eyelids)

The third one looks like it's the coloration of the internal membrane (sort of similar to what cats have, but humans don't.)

Colored membranes over the eye are common, but the eye itself is generally just translucent fixed pupil.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Maybe that's what we see glowing in the picture? In both cases, the area under the translucent tissue is larger than the eye itself.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

a) This is completely aesthetic.
                      b) GM crops are ok, too. their products are not toxic, or something. If they are, I want to see proof, and even such proof would only hold to a specific product.
                      a) so it's for our pleasure. I don't think animals are for our pleasure.
                      b) crops may be safe but do you like that eg. one company has 100% monopole for GM beans ala Monsanto

Anyway, God or Nature whatever you prefer has given us a possibility to use our brains. We have the ability to do good and also do bad awering it. This is doing bad for me, we can do this but we really don't have to. Anyway it may seem now that GM is ok, but frankly i think we aren't smart enough to understand all consequences of our little experiments
                      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I wonder if there's a better picture. I still think it might be reflection through the intraocular fluid (I've got fish that do red, orange, blue and no reflection).

Comment

Here you go, Michael.

I am enclined more to agree with you.
                          Attached Files
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

OTOH, that moving fish has it's eyes glow, too. Would it happen to be because of the camera, too?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

So you are a vegetarian?

God or Nature whatever you prefer has given us a possibility to use our brains. We have the ability to do good and also do bad awering it.

So you've never taken an aspirin or penicilin? Or gotten a doctor to fix you? Isn't that 'playing God'?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                                They're there for no purpose. We want to enjoy them. We enjoy them.

b) crops may be safe but do you like that eg. one company has 100% monopole for GM beans ala Monsanto
                                That's a wholly different debate. besides, It's not that beans can be genetically modified in only one way. Also, Are there GM patents already?

Anyway, God or Nature whatever you prefer has given us a possibility to use our brains. We have the ability to do good and also do bad awering it. This is doing bad for me, we can do this but we really don't have to. Anyway it may seem now that GM is ok, but frankly i think we aren't smart enough to understand all consequences of our little experiments
                                Research is full of these. That's the whole point of Research. do you suggest that we stop all research?
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X