X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hindu Beaten Because He's Muslim

Hindu Beaten Because He's Muslim
    BOSTON, June 26, 2003

Police arrested three men accused of hogtying, beating and stabbing a pizza delivery man because they mistakenly believed he was Muslim.

Saurabh Bhalerao, 24, was attacked late Sunday while delivering pizza in New Bedford, about 60 miles south of Boston.

The suspects originally intended to rob Bhalerao, but escalated the assault mistakenly believing he was Muslim, said Fairhaven police Chief Gary F. Souza. The attacks continued as Bhalerao, a graduate student at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, explained that he was Hindu.

"He pleaded with his attackers," Souza said. "They were using disparaging remarks…and telling him he should go back to Iraq."

The suspects put the victim into the trunk of his own car and, during the drive to the neighboring town of Fairhaven, Bhalerao managed to loosen his ropes.

When the vehicle stopped he got out and hit one of his assailants with a hammer. The assailant then stabbed Bhalerao before fleeing, police said.

Bhalerao was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in fair condition Wednesday night.

The suspects face various charges including armed assault with intent to murder, kidnapping, and hate crime and civil rights violations. All three have pleaded innocent and were being held on bail.

Police were searching for a fourth suspect.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations called for a federal investigation.

Hate crimes surged in 2001 against people of Islamic faith and those of Middle Eastern ethnicity in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, the FBI reported last fall.

Incidents targeting Muslims, previously the least common involving religious bias, increased from just 28 in 2000 to 481 in 2001 — a jump of 1,600 percent. However, anti-Jewish attacks still led the category.

Hate crimes directed against people because of their ethnicity or national origin — those not Hispanic and not black — more than doubled from 354 in 2000 to 1,501 in 2001. This category includes people of Middle Eastern origin or descent, the FBI says.

The increases, according to the report, happened "presumably as a result of the heinous incidents that occurred on Sept. 11" of 2001.

Most incidents against Muslims and people of Middle Eastern ethnicity also involved assaults and intimidation, but there were three cases of murder or manslaughter and 35 arsons.

©MMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    from http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in530749.shtml

This is the epitome of stupid. It's tantamount to the people that kill in the name of religion. These "patriots" are just as evil as the terrorists. But hey, I'm sure these guys have American flags on their cars! It just goes to show that stupid white trash doesn't just live in Texas and the South.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

"Rednecks unable to tell religion on sight".

Good on him for lumping one with a hammer. Pity he got stabbed, but hey, he could of just been murdered, buried and forgotten.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I was going to say, this doesn't make much sense.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sava, I like how you disregard that these guys are registered Democrats....

I'm just making that up. What was your initial reaction, btw?
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Idiots!

They should've asked if he's a muslim, first.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

boy am i glad that i'm not south / southwest asian...
            B♭3

Comment

Sava, I like how you disregard that these guys are registered Democrats....
              Why would that matter?
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

psst...i think it was a troll...
                B♭3

Comment

I know it was... but assuming it's true, why would it matteR? Democrats can be dumbass crackers too!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

as can be evidenced all over the south--they tend to vote democratically in local elections, republican in national elections.
                    B♭3

Comment

I'm just saying you seem to be in the mood to attack conservative lately.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I'm just saying you seem to be in the mood to attack conservative lately.
                        What the **** does this thread have to do with conservatives? You are the first person to even mention the word "conservative." Again, delfate your ego. Not everyone is talking about you. You should learn to read before you start throwing accusations around.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                          Idiots!
                          If he'd been a visiting Israeli he wouldn't have got any mercy. Does that make you smile?
                          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                            Idiots!

You're going to Hell Boss....
                            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

If he'd been a visiting Israeli he wouldn't have got any mercy. Does that make you smile?

No. That makes me shiver in fear.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X