A Good Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Man

It takes a brave man to face up to the (potential) consequences.

This should be a major story.

This is what we call responsiblity and maturity.

Regardless of what I think about his guilt I definetly respect the guy. He's what America (should) be about.

"He has also alleged that his superiors had inadequately briefed the pilots before their mission.

"There is a risk (in taking the court martial route)," said his lawyer, Charles Gittins. "But principle is more important than the downside for Harry." "
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

*^%&*&*£$ 64 Years in Leavenworth?

There's brave, and there's REAL risk.

Hopefully the truth will come out - but I can't the USAF being at all happy about this.

Strange reaction from the families - the guy is putting his balls on the line to get to tell his side. Then again, bereavement does strange things to people.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.

Comment

He's got off lightly - he should be grateful his punishment wasn't worse.

I'm on the sides of the families on this one.

Trying to weasel out of stuff is what seperates us from the animals ... except the weasel.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

If they want to do right by the man, they need to get him into some kind of mental health counciling.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
            He's got off lightly - he should be grateful his punishment wasn't worse.

I'm on the sides of the families on this one.

Trying to weasel out of stuff is what seperates us from the animals ... except the weasel.
            64 years in a military prison? I thought this guy was nuts before you said "he's got off lightly".

How about you FP? You'd risk 64 inside versus a months pay for just telling your side?

Do you have ANY idea what prison is like?
            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

blaming the pilotes is stupid anyway

Comment

I hope he fights is because it wasn't entirely his fault or responsibility (only largely). At least this way there is a chance that any faults or omissions in USAF procedures will be exposed.

I notice that the other pilot has been allowed to retire. So the USAF can grudgingly say "sorry folks, one of our pilots made a misjudgement" and forget about the whole thing.
                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy

64 years in a military prison? I thought this guy was nuts before you said "he's got off lightly".

How about you FP? You'd risk 64 inside versus a months pay for just telling your side?

Do you have ANY idea what prison is like?
                  What? I'm positive that 64 years in a military prison would be hellish - that's why I disagree with his actions!

From the linked article:
                  Maj. Harry Schmidt turned his back on an opportunity to escape with a penalty no harsher than the loss of a month's pay, possible revocation of his pilot's licence and a short term of house arrest.

The guy had an opportunity to get off with "penalty no harsher than the loss of a month's pay, possible revocation of his pilot's licence and a short term of house arrest"!
                  However, he's opted for a full court martial in an effort to clear his name completely. However, if found guilty again the penalties are guaranteed to be much harsher.

That's either very brave or very stupid. I've picked the latter, but your mileage may vary.

Comment

There's prison, and there's Leavenworth.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What? I'm positive that 64 years in a military prison would be hellish - that's why I disagree with his actions!
                      I don't disagree with his actions. Its his choice.

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                      The guy had an opportunity to get off with "penalty no harsher than the loss of a month's pay, possible revocation of his pilot's licence and a short term of house arrest"!
                      However, he's opted for a full court martial in an effort to clear his name completely. However, if found guilty again the penalties are guaranteed to be much harsher.

That's either very brave or very stupid. I've picked the latter, but your mileage may vary.
                      Ah, but if he's got something on his actions that pin the blame elsewhere, then he is found innocent.

Believe it or not FrustratedPoet, some innocent people actually end up in court.

Some even end up in jail.

But very rarely are they up against an organisation like USAF in court - no jury.

He's either very sure he's got a fighting chance - or he really is a maniac.

Comment

Believe it or not FrustratedPoet, some innocent people actually end up in court.

Exactly! I thought that was what I was saying...... ?
                        Why would he want to take the risk that *he* might be the next person this happens too? They offered him the chance to walk away with just a slap on the wrist, but he declined.

Why are we arguing? It sounds as if you agree with me.

Comment

Exactly! I thought that was what I was saying...... ?
                          Why would he want to take the risk that *he* might be the next person this happens too? They offered him the chance to walk away with just a slap on the wrist, but he declined.

Why are we arguing? It sounds as if you agree with me.
                          You agree? You side with the family's wanting his liver on a stick, call the guy a weasel and then say we're in perfect harmony?

If that's your idea of harmony... man, I never want to jam with you.

Comment

Obviously I'm misunderstanding you somewhere then. It seems to me that we agree that the possible (likely?) punishment he will get for his court martial is terrible. 64 years in a military prison? That's awful.

For that very reason I'm saying that he should have accepted the previous very light punishment he was given - yes it was very light - and just got on with his life.

To push for a full court martial seems to be inviting a life-time imprisonment, which is why I think he's being a fool.

Comment

Obviously I'm misunderstanding you somewhere then. It seems to me that we agree that the possible (likely?) punishment he will get for his court martial is terrible. 64 years in a military prison? That's awful.

For that very reason I'm saying that he should have accepted the previous very light punishment he was given - yes it was very light - and just got on with his life.

To push for a full court martial seems to be inviting a life-time imprisonment, which is why I think he's being a fool.
                              Not foolish for a pilot to fight for his wings.

Not foolish for a soldier to fight for his pride.

And if he wins - well, no punishment at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X