• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK scientists discover perfect cup of tea. Nation united in joy

Scientific formula for a nice cup of tea
    By Richard Milne
    Published: June 25 2003 5:00 | Last Updated: June 25 2003 5:00

One of the great scientific mysteries - and a cause of social division through the ages - was resolved yesterday, when it was proved that the milk should be poured first for the perfect cup of tea.

Five hundred years after Copernicus posited that the earth revolved around the sun, Dr Andrew Stapley of Loughborough University has demonstrated that it is better to pour the tea on top of the milk to avoid "denaturation" of milk proteins.

Warming the pot, using soft water and letting the tea brew for three minutes is also essential.

The news sparked instant controversy with Tony Benn, MP and veteran tea drinker, who poured scorned the findings.

After tasting the perfect cuppa, which he admitted was "very tasty, delicious", he said: "I take [George] Orwell's view - you put the tea in first, then you know how much milk you need to put in to get exactly the right colour."

Received social wisdom also holds that tea should go in first.

The study, for the Royal College of Chemistry, recommends loose-leaf Assam tea and water at 60-65°C to avoid "vulgar slurping".

Dr Stapley said that degrading the milk proteins by pouring the tea in first caused a stale taste.

The news followed research from China that showed drinking tea could help to reduce cholesterol levels by an average of 16 per cent.

Mr Benn said the tearoom was his favourite part of the House of Commons and a frequent haunt of his during his 51-year political career.

He claims he drinks 10 pints of the liquid a day and has, therefore, drunk a total of 219,000 pints over his lifetime.

"When things are very stressful, if somebody says what we need is a cup of tea, my heart overflows with joy," he said.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

We ought to declare a national holiday in honour of Dr. Andrew Stapely. Let bunting hang from every home in the land!
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Jeezus. 10 pints a day?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

yeah, they had the bloke who did this important research on the today program, of course he then refused to say what made the perfect cup of tea, which was a bit of an anti-climax but there you go.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

And with this last great mystery solved, the curtain closes on the field of science.

There is simply nothing more we can possibly learn.

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Tony Benn is a reknowned eccentric, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it were true.
            "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Hmm... Once I actually experimented with making tea, and decided that milk in first produced a less scalded flavour and better tase. Judging the right amount of milk is down to practise.

Mind you, this research ignores the most important point of teamaking - if you want the best brew, use looseleaf tea.
              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

christ where were you dragged up from! first the tea then the milk, to do otherwise is just wrong
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It's been known for ages that milk first is better, because the milk has time to warm up with the hot water being poured in afterwards. I did it just this morning at work.

I never drink tea tho, I only did today coz there is only tea and coffee and it is very very cold this morning, so I needed a quick hot drink.

Truth is, tea and coffee are crappy drinks. But you won't hear a tea or coffee fanatic ever say that (and there's lots of them!)
                  be free

Comment

How about doing it like civilised people and not bothering with milk...

Though with PG Tips I can see why you'd need milk.

Comment

I always thought Tony Benn believed that proper tea was theft.

Comment

The best tea is poured over ice and served with sugar and lemon.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                          christ where were you dragged up from! first the tea then the milk, to do otherwise is just wrong
                          Yes, but I thought I'd see which actually made the best cuppa rather than blindly following ritual.

Parents are occasionally economical with the truth - or at least don't reality test enough.

As to where I was brought up - same place you were. And no, I don't mean London.
                          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

You mean that wasn't an Onion article?
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by redbaron
                              I always thought Tony Benn believed that proper tea was theft.
                              Boo.
                              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
                              X