No announcement yet.

How Do You Fix a Broken City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So? Atlanta doesn't... have good ones anyway.

Then again, for it to matter, Atlanta would have to have trains all over the place, because a HELL of a lot of business is in the burbs.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by rmsharpe
      Easy, don't vote for the Democrats.

Take a look at New York during the last year of Dinkins and the last year of Guiliani,
      The fall in crime in NYC began under Dinkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        Tax the hell out of gas and the use of roads.
        screw the middle class(relatively) is an answer that u like? hahahahah. thats hilarious.

Comment

Re: Yarr, thinking shur iz funn

Originally posted by Asher
          Roads already have the capacity to hold the trucks, if we suddenly transferred everything to rail, rail would not have the capacity.
          Obviously, but since when has a slightly increased tax caused the entire market to switch instantly to another method, such as transferring everything by rail?

Of course roads have a limited capacity, was this an attempt to be profound?

In all fairness, it was about as profound as your "Rail and similar have a limited capacity" comment.
          Last edited by Skanky Burns; June 24, 2003, 23:42.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

someone mentioned building tourist attractions... Has Camden improved much with the Camden aquarium? i doubt it...
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Re: Re: Yarr, thinking shur iz funn

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              Obviously, but since when has a slightly increased tax caused the entire market to switch instantly to another method, such as transferring everything by rail?
              Since the proposed solution was to simply "move to rail" to solve widespread price increases -- this implies a huge movement to rail transportation would be needed.

Moving a tiny fraction of the goods to rail wouldn't do anything to the price of everything else -- its not like there's a fuel shortage. To lower the price on everything, everything would need to move to rail.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's

In most developed societies I think it is fairer to say that the violent and criminal poor prey on the rich.
                Really. Would you like to take a guess at whose chances are "better" of being an innocent victim of crimes against the person or against property? Rich or poor?
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KrazyHorse:

a poor man mugs a rich man... rich men don't mug poor men... simple as that
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Re: Yarr, thinking shur iz funn

Roads already have the capacity to hold the trucks, if we suddenly transferred everything to rail, rail would not have the capacity.
                    I mainly refer to passagers. Exception could be made for cargo transports for now.

Eh? The rail systems in Canada are subsidized by the government.
                    It seems that Canadian cities have less of an urban decay problem.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      So? Atlanta doesn't... have good ones anyway.

Then again, for it to matter, Atlanta would have to have trains all over the place, because a HELL of a lot of business is in the burbs.

I rode the train from the airport to downtown once to get to a conference. Let's just say I have a low opinion of Atlanta in general, but their trains (though not exactly extensive) could be worse.

And that's just the problem. The 'burbs result from poor planning and hinder mass transit. The lack of mass transit means more cars and less planning. Vicious cycle. I say begin serious urban planning and quit subsidizing the sprawl by not building infrastructure to it or for it.
                      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Working...
                      X