Hair length in the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair length in the past?

I imagine that hundreds of years ago, people didn't have much access to effective shears and razors so did people generally have huge amounts of hair and massive beards?

Also, movies about Africa or slaves always show the Africans with real short hair or bald... shouldnt they have huge heads of hair? I mean, Amistad was just on tv, and all the africans had short or no hair... how did they get hair-cuts, especially ones so close?

again, i don't get it...

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

GIVE US...US FREEEEE!!!!!!
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Knives in Africa. Even the Romans had short hair, dude. Long hair is a ***** in hot weather.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

a lot of east asian males used to have topknots. cutting them off, at least in korea, was a deeply shameful thing.
        B♭3

Comment

Romans used to go to the bathhouse and have their body hair PLUCKED too.

ouch
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I used to have hair down to my shoulders. I thought I looked like Bono. I actually looked like a dweeb.

Comment

You still look like a dweeb.
              Last edited by chequita guevara; June 22, 2003, 00:29.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Long hair is horrible when there's a lot of insects about...
                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Chegitz:

So you saying that a knife can make someone bald?
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                    Chegitz:

So you saying that a knife can make someone bald?
                    I see no reason to doubt it.

Comment

Chegitz:

I can't imagine any knives from hundreds of years ago getting that close of a cut...

Comment

The fact that you cannot imagine it does not make it so.

You are falling prey to the fallacy of primitive stupidity. Just because people didn't have the things we have today doesn't mean they were idiots. Razors have existed for thousands of years. High quality steel has been around almost as long (in small batches).

Comment

Chegitz:

would a slave in Virginia have much access to high quality steel?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                            Chegitz:

would a slave in Virginia have much access to high quality steel?
                            Have you ever done any kind of field work on a farm?
                            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Sprayber:

I like in philly so obviously no...

nevertheless... would a Zulu, for example, have been bald or with short hair as portrayed in the movies, or with nappy afros?

Comment

Working...
                              X