No announcement yet.

Best Ending to a Novel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's probably because you're a heartless conservative, naturally.

No, because it seemed to be obvious... the story led up to it.

On the contrast I cried when I read what JK Rowling just recently did for a girl, who was a huge Harry Potter fan, that was dying of cancer (just died, IIRC )
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, given that I figured it out halfway into the book, Imran, it wasn't that surprising of an ending.

Damn you!

But wasn't halfway through the book not even 25 pages into the second story?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        That's probably because you're a heartless conservative, naturally.

No, because it seemed to be obvious... the story led up to it.
        Not every novel is supposed to have a suprise or twist ending. You've been seeing too many Hollywood movies.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Well, given that I figured it out halfway into the book, Imran, it wasn't that surprising of an ending.

Damn you!

But wasn't halfway through the book not even 25 pages into the second story?
          Don't know. What I do know is that, somewhere in the middle, a little went off and I went "Oh!"

Turned out I was right.

Comment

Not every novel is supposed to have a suprise or twist ending.

But if you can accurately gauge the ending, then it doesn't NEARLY pack the emotional punch... because there is no punch, you've seen it and deflected it.

Comment

It all depends upon how you write it, Imran.

Comment

JohnT, true... I guess I didn't think Remarque was a great writer. Good book though .

Comment

The Moonstone had a very good and surprising ending (best detective novel I've read...)
                  A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Not every novel is supposed to have a suprise or twist ending. You've been seeing too many Hollywood movies.
                    Yeah, but when the punch just comes behind the corner and *wham* strikes you, and you realise that it's completely possible but you never thought about it, and it isn't a lame "it was all a dream" sort of deus ex machina either.... Like in Dan Simmons's Fall of Hyperion, though this isn't the ending:

Spoiler:
                    When we find out that the Ousters weren't the attackers after all. Damn, it was so obvious, but the text just kept me so occupied with itself that I didn't have the time to figure it out. I was absolutely... I can't really name the emotion. Exhilirated, maybe.
                    Last edited by Kassiopeia; June 21, 2003, 22:01.
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

He loved Big Brother.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Best ending to a Novel? Isn't all endings good? Because when you're finally at the end, you don't have to read more

(In case you didn't know: I hate books... the only books I've ever read, is those you're supposed to read in school)
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Not the end, but Mrs Roy is quite good in building the story peu à peu in the God of Small Things.

Every few pages you're shocked with a new detail, the end itself is a little weak, though, no revelation

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                            Best ending to a Novel? Isn't all endings good? Because when you're finally at the end, you don't have to read more

(In case you didn't know: I hate books... the only books I've ever read, is those you're supposed to read in school)
                            Did they ban the word "are" where you live?

Comment

interesting question... maybe he just hasn't been reading enough in his youth, thus too small a vocabulary

Comment

Very likely. I'm also a little surprised that someone who doesn't like to read hangs around in message boards... one would think an AOL chat room would be more to his taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X