Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill gates sabotaged my computer. (tech help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    Well, that's definitely your problem.

This is an AGP Radeon 9700, right?

If so, it looks like a bug of some kind that you'd need to deal with ATI to solve.
    It's deffinately AGP. Is there even a PCI version?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Use Defrag, if that doesn't work, mess with the settings in the last picture (the ones with the microchips by them).

Comment

It's deffinately AGP. Is there even a PCI version?

Doubt it very much.
        -
        Zylka, you should be fine, just add a little memory and drop some the whistles and bells (and -restore point- which is very resource heavy, don't really need it, XP is good )
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

--" I have had a huge performance hit, particularily (and I think this is the source of the problem) when loading textures."

Slowdowns when loading things from the hard drive, then?

Probably a PIO/DMA issue then. Windows (NT, 2k, XP) likes to set drives to PIO when they can use DMA for some reason. Make sure all your drives are set to use DMA if possible.

Wraith
          Welcome To Hell - I'm Your Caseworker

Comment

For those who followed my advice regarding Q811493, I checked MS's tech support site and they CLAIM to have fixed the problem and have released a revised version of the update. It is up to the individual to decide whether there's any change.
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

One other thing it could be is the AGP driver not liking the combination of Nforce2 chipset, Radeon 9700 and WindowsXP... which would the the motherboard maker's problem, not ATI. So check wth them too (ASUS).

Apparently lots of people are having problems with this combination - found a FAQ thread that might help (probably not yet, but if they find an answer it should turn up here).

That forum link - click me

EDIT: Also check your RAM... this motherboard hates RAM made with Infineon chips, although I suppose you'd have noticed than on Win98.

EDIT2: According to this site , there is a bug in WinXP. This guy also supplies a driver fix, but use at your own risk (I have no intention of upgrading to XP till it's been fumigated).
              Last edited by Cruddy; June 21, 2003, 08:29.
              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

A couple of things. Check for any BIOS and/or driver updates for your mobo. Also, remove the display card to have Windows recognise it again.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Also, remove the display card to have Windows recognise it again.
                  I was going to do that, but then realised that without it I wouldn't be able to connect my monitor...

Do It Ourselves

Comment

?????
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

I was going to do that, but then realised that without it I wouldn't be able to connect my monitor...

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                        ?????
                        You know, remove my video card and reboot without it. But my motherboard doesn't have onboard video, so I couldn't do that.

I tried uninstalling the secondary driver through the device manager but windows just puts it back in after it reboots. It detects two devices after unistalling the drivers, aswell. Damned if I know why.

Ha, there's another thing that I'm having problems with, but it started just recently and I'm not sure if it's related. Everytime I start windows, there is about a minute-long delay before any of the systerm processes (or whatever) start working. I can't log onto the internet, lookthrough device manager, ect... for a minute. I can still use windows explorer and run a few simple programs, though.

You know, I always seem to have inexplicable computer problems that no one can fix... I had a problem with my old computer, I built a new one, and had the same damn problem. I upgrade to windows XP, it was fixed, but now I have new problems. I think I'm just cursed.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I think UR meant you to reconnect it again, just to have a clean set-up?!

Am I missing something?

Comment

I think UR meant you to reconnect it again, just to have a clean set-up?!
                            I did take it out but, as I said, realised I wouldn't be able to see what was happening so just put it back in. Taking it out and puting it back in isn't going to do a whole lot of good when the computer isn't on to know you did that.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Uninstall all the video drivers before taking it out. Putting it back in forces window to reinstall everything (but from a clean sheat).

And if you want, you can start your PC without a monitor or video-card, let it go into windows and turn it off. (not the best to do though)
                              If your PC doesn't want turn off, keep the power button pressed for a couple of seconds.
                              (I can turn my PC off blindfolded, since I put one of my mouse button to terminate programs (mainly to close windows and pop-ups). So all I have to is double-click it on the desktop and press enter.)

Comment

Uninstall all the video drivers before taking it out. Putting it back in forces window to reinstall everything (but from a clean sheat).
                                I have. I even followed the "overly anal method of unistalling drivers guide" at Rage3d, too. I don't see how taking it out and puting it back in while the computer is off is going to make any difference. And it didn't.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X