Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill gates sabotaged my computer. (tech help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual memory was set to have windows manage it, but I tried seting it at 2gb min/max in an attempt to solve this but had no luck.

Way too much, try having it fixed at around 300MB.
    (You could even try to with dissabling it altogether)
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

reds4ever,

I agree with alva, it could be a fragmented hard disk, this speeds up my machine also.

But there is also something else that may be causing it. When you goto the desktop, a whole heap of systray programs get loaded. If you've got a whole shed of programs starting up all at the same time, as well as XP trying to load the icons, the results are very very slow icon draw.

goto Start->Run. type MSCONFIG, and slect the startup tab. remove everything you don't want .. if your unsure .. post your list, im sure most of us here could help tell you what is not needed.

Also try removing some services (control panel, administrative tools) and goto services. be careful though, only remove stuff your sure about, and give us a list if your not.

As for the XP cut over from Win98 .. I have a P2, 350Mhz with 256Mb ram .. and it runs fine ..

My only advice is, go through all of the Services currently selected, and remove as many as you can .. it could be one of the services which is causing problems (long shot, but something worth trying). Have you updated your ATI drivers ?? (I have a 9000 and its was a tad slow until I updated the drivers).
      "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
        My only advice is, go through all of the Services currently selected, and remove as many as you can .. it could be one of the services which is causing problems (long shot, but something worth trying). Have you updated your ATI drivers ?? (I have a 9000 and its was a tad slow until I updated the drivers).
        I have tried running with out any of the services. (that of course produced some problems of it's own, but the symptoms I am having now where consistent in both instances) And yes, I have updated the drivers.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

This is not a bump, really.

Bill gates is in the title and Asher hasn't responded. What is wrong with the world?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

He's waiting for us (first-line helpers) to admit defeat and summon him
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
              I have 512MB of PC2700 RAM, as stated above. Virtual memory was set to have windows manage it, but I tried seting it at 2gb min/max in an attempt to solve this but had no luck.
              That's too much. Set it to 1GB max - I think 512 MB works well enough. If you have two partitions, defrag the D: drive, move the swap file to there temporarily, then defrag C: drive, and move it back.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It sounds like an AGP problem.

Make sure you have AGP FastWrites disabled, also try disabling sidebanding. If that doesn't work, try enabling them both.

Also make sure your video card is set to using AGP 4x or 8x.

Also update your BIOS and update your Nvidia Chipset drivers if you haven't done so already.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There's another problem I am having, I can't figure out how to get into the video card settings and configure all the nuances of it. I tried going to to going into display options, setting, advanced, like in Win98 but only get minoter frequency options and stuff like that.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It sounds like you're still using the default Windows drivers.

Try uninstalling the drivers for your video card, then rebooting, then installing the latest ATI ones.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      It sounds like you're still using the default Windows drivers.

Try uninstalling the drivers for your video card, then rebooting, then installing the latest ATI ones.
                      I've done that a number of times. It shows up as a Radeon 9700 under the device manager. I don't know if it is supposed to, but it has a secondary driver aswell. I'm not sure why, but i think the secondary is a PCI driver.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I tried disabling AGP FastWrites, by the way, but with no luck. I didn't see any option of sidebanding in the BIOS, and AGP 8x was enabled.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                          I've done that a number of times. It shows up as a Radeon 9700 under the device manager. I don't know if it is supposed to, but it has a secondary driver aswell. I'm not sure why, but i think the secondary is a PCI driver.
                          Very weird.

Under the Device Manager, select Display Adapters and then your Radeon 9700 which should be the only thing listed under it.

Click the details tab, and if possible post a screenshot/transcribe what it says.

Also check the Drivers tab and tell me what the Driver Provider, Date, and Version are.

Comment

Er, or maybe they are both PCI drivers.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Well, that's definitely your problem.

This is an AGP Radeon 9700, right?

If so, it looks like a bug of some kind that you'd need to deal with ATI to solve.

Comment

Yikes

You're crashing on those specs? Guess I shouldn't be installing XP on the old computer... she's a p3 550mhz, 196 ram

Comment

Working...
                                X