How to compress an mp3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to compress an mp3?

Is there any program out there that will let me compress an mp3 so the filesize shrinks slightly?

I don't mind sacrificing some sound quality to achieve this.

Basically I have some large mp3's that are all 65MB - 75MB and I want to get them to fit on my 64MB portable mp3 player. One at a time, naturally .. I don't expect to squeeze several of the things on there.

They still need to be in the mp3 format, of course.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

You can resample them at a lower rate, I think.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Thanks, but how?

As you can see, I'm more than a little clueless about this.

Comment

1) Set the offending MP3 on the floor
        2) Get on a chair
        3) Jump

Results will vary, depending on your weight, structural integrity of the mp3, starting height, etc....

-=Vel=-

PS: Actually, that's a good question....I'm not sure....I save space converting from wav to mp3, but hadn't considered trying to shrink them from there....
        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Get a minidsic player.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Only if you have money to burn.

You could use the output plugins in winamp (at least before version 3, IIRC) to resample them, I'd guess (don't have any winamp on this comp to check).
            DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

You need some kind of mp3 encoding/extracting program. Basically any mid-grade sound editing software will do it. The creative sound studio that came with my sound card will do it easily. I just open the file and save it as a different bitrate. You just have to have the right program.

FP - ask if you can put them on the CB FTP site . I'll be happy to change them for you if you don't have the program, but you can't exactly email a file that size to me.
              "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

You need some kind of mp3 encoding/extracting program.

Ah, thanks. Now that I know some kind of technical term for these programs I did a search on www.download.com - I've found something that says it'll do what I need. Hopefully it'll work.

Thanks.

Comment

I use the pay version of Musicmatch Jukebox. I'm not sure if the free version will do it, but I'm quite confident I would be able to if I wanted to.
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

It worked. Yay!

After some trial-and-error with different bit rates I managed to get the files down to about 45MB without any noticable loss of sound quality.

Comment

I was wondering if winrar would do it.
                      Guess I'll check what you used.
                      What DID you use?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        What DID you use?
                        .xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.

I found the interface to be very amateurish and unintuitive, but after I poked around with it a bit (and got it wrong a couple of times) I figured it out.

I'm sure there are better ones out there - but that's what I used and it worked.

Comment

Cool. Thanks. Glad you found what you (we) needed.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                          X