Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global warming - Staffordshire is the new Everglades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global warming - Staffordshire is the new Everglades?

It seems that there is something in the water in Staffordshire.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Croc shock in Cannock

Cannock is not renowned for its ferocious wildlife
    Loch Ness has its monster and Bodmin its beast, but is a ferocious reptile set to put a small corner of Staffordshire on the map?
    Police were called to a pool in Roman View, Churchbridge, Cannock, to investigate reports that an alligator-type creature was lurking in a pool.

Joined by RSPCA inspectors and an animal expert, they trawled the entire area without catching a glimpse of anything more terrifying than a few fish.

The intrepid search team concluded that the creature could have been nothing more dramatic than a large basking carp.

There was a commotion in the water and lots of turbulence

But locals are not convinced.

The man who called the emergency services said he saw the creature as he was feeding swans with members of his family.

"We were there looking at the two swans and their baby cygnets.

"There was a commotion in the water and lots of turbulence.

"As the creature went past I saw it had a flat head, a five-foot-long body, and two-foot tail.

"It was not smooth and was moving in a snaking action. My initial reaction was it was a crocodile or alligator."

He has asked not to be named.

Linda Charteras, from nearby Cheslyn Hay, was also out feeding the swans on Saturday afternoon.

"I saw the creature first. A large pool of dirt came up. It looked as though it was after one of the cygnets," she said.

An RSPCA spokeswoman told BBC News Online they had not received any more calls since the sighting was reported on Friday.

She said the animal was more likely to have been a big fish in a small pond.

"Large carp can look to the untrained eye to be some kind of weird creature."

She said: "We're treating it as an instance of someone not having seen what they thought they saw."

She added that if the animal was a crocodile or alligator, its presence in Staffordshire could probably only be explained by the creature escaping from a zoo or private collection.

"Cannock is not the Florida Everglades so it is hard to imagine an alligator surviving for long in the heat and light you get in this country," she said.

Are they trying to grab a piece of the Loch Ness tourist market?
    Never give an AI an even break.

Sympathy post for poor old Cerberus, who has two threads on page two with 0 replies.

Croc shock in Cannock

Best headline of the day.

She said: "We're treating it as an instance of someone not having seen what they thought they saw."

Very sensible policy, that.

"Cannock is not the Florida Everglades so it is hard to imagine an alligator surviving for long in the heat and light you get in this country,"

Yeah, it's not like you ever see alligators or crocodiles in really hot and bright places like Africa, or anything.
    I think she means with the "lack of heat and light".
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

At least something interesting has happened in Staffordshire...
      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Thanks for noticing the thread. I was considering having a crisis of confidence if no-one replied

Comment

Can someone tell me when the last time something newsworthy happened in Staffordshire was?

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
            Can someone tell me when the last time something newsworthy happened in Staffordshire was?
            When an alligator escaped from a local zoo last year. I expect most people have forgotten about that by now.

Comment

"Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Comment

Comment

/me takes his bow.

Comment

Late
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Gators don't survive that far north. They don't live much north of here, actually.

In other news today, in the county over a 12-year old boy got killed by a gator yesterday. Let this be a lesson to you: do NOT swim in the black-water rivers in Florida. Also, listen to your friends when they tell you a gator is coming. Apparently his friends were screaming at him to get out of the water. Don't know if he was too far out or just didn't listen.

You can go swiming in our spring-fed rivers. The water's pretty lcear and you can see any gators before you go in.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                          X