Alaska or Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska or Florida?

Your friendly neighborhood islander has been thinking about this for a while...

I'm thinking of moving to a different area to get off this "rock". I need a change of scenery and a change in life. Mind you, I have some wanderlust right now and I feel stuck in a rut here. Job opportunities aren't looking the best and it's helluva expensive here.

Anyway, I'm thinking of moving to Alaska or Florida for a while.

Alaska-If what I'm hearing is true, they pay you to be a resident there. If I do move to Alaska, I'll be staying there for at least 5 years if everything turns out o.k.

Florida-My friend here has an apartment over there as well as some connections so we won't be left high-and-dry over there. I've been there once and it wasn't that bad.

So here's a basic synopsis on myself. I'm going to be 23 soon and I'm getting out of college with a B.A. in Psychology. (yes, I know, don't laugh). My focus is going to be in Criminal Justice and I'm volunteering for the Department of Corrections here. I plan on going to work in the prison system. I'm not sure if either state needs people working in their prison system so I'm debating which state to move to. I plan on getting a masters in Criminal Justice.

So what will it be, Alaska or Florida? Your comments will be much appreciated. This islander is pretty confused on where to go...
    Alaska-Freeze your butt off!
    50.00%
    Florida-Be surrounded by old people!
    30.77%
    Banana! Banana! Banana!!!
    19.23%
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

This islander is pretty confused on where to go...

Obviously ....

There's a reason why hardly anyone lives in Alaska, y'know?

Florida!
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Miami Vice.....
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

These are your only choices? Frankie, get an atlas of the U.S. and try again! Alaska is the only state that I have never been to, but it seems to me that between the darkness and the cold you are going to regret leaving Hawaii sooner than later. Florida I have been to several times, and I really don't like it at all. It's not the retirees that bother me either, it's the rest of the population that bugs me. The whole place seems seedy, full of old East Coast mafia money, con men, and semi-wealthy people with really bad taste.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Those are sad choices. I wouldn't mind visiting Alaska, but definitely won't want to stay there for 5 years. Ditto with Florida.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well, Alaska because they need "professionals" to fill jobs and cause of the dividends.

Florida because my friend has a residence which is a biggie for me. I'm basically going to move with little money to help me out so any help is a BIG bonus.

I could also go to Idaho...my friend's-ex who I'm still friends with lives there and she said that cause I helped her out here she'll help me out up there if I ever moved there.

I could also go to Indiana cause I have family there. They both look Caucasian. They said that cause I don't look Caucasian I'll be a "catch" or a novelty so I should fit in so long as I don't stray farther south.

So, It's either Indiana, Idaho, Alaska, or Florida. Whoo Hoo.

Like I said, assistance to get adjusted to my new "home" is what's really important in my decision. Alaska cause you get dividends for residency. Decisions, Decisions...
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Alaska is expensive, Indiana is probably your cheapest choice, but it might be dull. Still, midwesterners are usually solid people. Idaho seems a bit remote, though anywhere away from the coast of Alaska is going to be at least as remote. Tough choices.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Idaho being C'oeur D'Alene. Alaska most likely being Anchorage. Indiana being Indianapolis (or 20 minutes away). Florida...I don't know, my friends hasn't told me exactly where his place is.

Oh I haven't seen snow personally but everyone says that it's novelty wears off.....fast.

Comment

5 years in Alaska ?

Really, as you come from Hawaii, you should go to a place where the climate isn't that different. Florida doesn't seem very appealing, but at least you won't be depressed by the climate.

If you are beginning with little money on the mainland, I think that a cheaper place, like Coeur d'Alene, would be better. It'll be time to move on once you had made money and earned a situation.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

5 years in Alaska ?

I think he's going to work in that secret gulag the federal US government is building there to re-educate all the muslims and libertarians.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'd go to Alaska.

"So, It's either Indiana, Idaho, Alaska, or Florida"
                      That's a really, really poor selection of states.

Check out Insomnia for Alaska, and The Bird Cage for Florida. Or better yet, Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City!
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

"So, It's either Indiana, Idaho, Alaska, or Florida. Whoo Hoo."

You bet. Woo-hoo about says it all.
                        Leaving Hawaii, to go to one of these, well, woo-hoo!

Something like 95% of all people in Alaska live in Anchorage.

Florida, as noted, is filled with geezers; and additionally appears to be becoming a Commie haven.

Idaho? Hell, just go to Montana. At least it's pretty.

Indiana? That's dangerously close to Illinois.
                        You know what's in Illinois, right?
                        Ming, for one thing.
                        Sava, for another.
                        Plus, ferrets run rampant and uncontrolled.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                          I'd go to Alaska.

"So, It's either Indiana, Idaho, Alaska, or Florida"
                          That's a really, really poor selection of states.

Check out Insomnia for Alaska, and The Bird Cage for Florida. Or better yet, Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City!
                          HEY !
                          It nearly motivated me to visit Miami Beach. Such a huge pile of sand sure is dreamy (unfortunately, Vice City doesn't mention the mountains of geezers lying on it)
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

"appears to be becoming a Commie haven"

I'll remind you that this is a state with a Bush son as its governor. Even your state can't claim that anymore.
                            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                            Drake Tungsten
                            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                            Albert Speer

Comment

I was hoping this was a poll to decide which one we'd kick out of the Union.

The answer either way is Florida.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X