No announcement yet.

Charles Taylor FALLS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good news, although it remains to be seen whether he actually honours his promise. assuming he does, then i hope that something similar to what is happening in sierra leone can take place in liberia, although without the kind of outside help sierra leone received (from britain) i can't say i'm overly optimistic about the future, although perhaps a little more so than mtg
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

good news, although it remains to be seen whether he actually honours his promise. assuming he does, then i hope that something similar to what is happening in sierra leone can take place in liberia, although without the kind of outside help sierra leone received (from britain) i can't say i'm overly optimistic about the future, although perhaps a little more so than mtg
      Perhaps the U.S. would be willing to help out its former colony? If they want to be imperialists, they can at least perform the positive aspects of the job, too...

cinch - Taylor is a descendent of former slaves. His assassinated ex-boss, Samual Doe, was a Krahn native and the only native leader of Liberia in it's history.
      Ah, yes. Thanks, Mike.
      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Gee, sorry Che, but some of us work for a living you know! I came as soon as I could!

Isn't Charles Taylor the guy whose guerillas in Sierra Leone were running around chopping off peoples' hands, or was that some other thug?

Is his stepping down contingent upon a guarentee of amnesty for himself?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

yes he backed the rebel movement(s) there (and in a few other countries too), sierra leone and liberia have a very unpleasant history of backing rebels in each other's countries. i don't know about amnesty, he'll almost certainly try for it, but he isn't really in a position to bargin.

cinch, yes i think it would be very good in the US could do something similar to what we did in sierra leone. a small force to keep peace and order in the capital, protecting government offices, foriegn nationals, that sort of thing, and advisors to train a new national army and police force, would do, in my opinion, a massive amount of good.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Wonderful News! Nice to see the downfall of one of the world's worst dictators
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Perhaps the U.S. would be willing to help out its former colony?

Liberia was never a colony of the US, AFAIK.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"If President Taylor is seen as a problem, then I will remove myself. I'm doing this because I'm tired of the people dying. I can no longer see this genocide in Liberia," he said at the time.
                Last week, he insisted Liberia would have no peace unless the indictment was dropped.
                What a BS'ing hypocrite. He's tired of the bloodshed but guarantees more if he doesn't get a pass on his crimes.

Comment

Imran:

Liberia was never a colony of the US, AFAIK.
                  The African-American slaves were being relocated to an area in west Africa, bought by Robert Stockton, by the early 1820s. A constitution was drawn up in 1824, and the country was controlled by white American governors for 24 years. In 1848, Liberia was granted its independence. I don't know if, between 1820 and 1848, it was officially called a colony, but it certainly wasn't an independent nation... and it was being controlled by the American government, so I would, personally, classify it as a colony.

Link To A Great Site On Liberian History
                  "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                  "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine

Comment

Double Post, sorry... the server's funky.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                      Is this the same guy who played for the Redskins?
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Guess Black genocide < white settler farmers getting their farms taken away.
                        yeah.
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Che, Che, Che.

You must learn patience -- or, barring that, learn to bump a thread in such a way that it dosen't appear that you are desperate for posts.

Find some additional information, or have a 'sudden revelation' on what's already posted, or something.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The hightop shoe guy? Why is everyone so glad he's fallen? Can he get up, he must be pretty old by now, I wore his shoes when I was a young pup in the '70s.

----

Seriously, it's pretty good news, except that he's not dead yet, and whatever is supposed to take his place isn't there yet either. Hoping for the best.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Charles Taylor hasn't fallen yet.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara Twenty minutes was enough time for the thread to fall to the bottom of the page.
                                It suffers in interest, not because of the subject, but because of the author. All lot of posters around her are less interested in what you say, because it is you that is saying it.
                                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                                X