The Logic of Airport Searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sava -
    Security hasn't prevented more terror attacks, terrorists haven't been trying.
    True, unless government hasn't told us about a terrorist caught trying to sneak a bomb on board so they can gain some advantage.

MtG -
    blowing up planes at random is soooo last decade.
    Yup, they graduated from bombs in planes to plane bombs, what do they graduate to now?

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      You mind giving some actual statistics to back up your "statistical" claim?
      I already said I don't have any... I doubt they would be trustworthy anyways... the figures I am recalling are from MSNBC or CNN reports I heard a few weeks ago.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava... you wanna actually try your little expirement?

Comment

MSNBC did, they got in trouble for it. They didn't have real bombs, but they breached security in airports and only were stopped a small percentage of times. This was a big story about a month ago, doesn't anyone else recall this?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I kinda agree with Sava on this one too. Something must be wrong with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
              Sava -

True, unless government hasn't told us about a terrorist caught trying to sneak a bomb on board so they can gain some advantage.

MtG -

Yup, they graduated from bombs in planes to plane bombs, what do they graduate to now?
              Do it yourself cruise missile for under $5,000

I figure for five to six times that, I can do a slightly larger, multistage jet to air-launched ballistic missile combo that would deliver a small nuke to about 1500 feet AGL within 15-20 minutes of first starting it's initial climb to launch attitude.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

fun fun

Comment

hah Diss... I make more sense than many would like to admit... I just have some really unorthodox ideas about how to do things.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

MtG: I POSTED A THREAD ABOUT THAT A WEEK OR TWO AGO!!!
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I didn't see it - I linked to the same thing last week in another thread.

The guy's basic ideas are pretty sound, although I'd change a few things slightly.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                        I didn't see it - I linked to the same thing last week in another thread.
                        well you suck!
                        The guy's basic ideas are pretty sound, although I'd change a few things slightly.
                        If I had money I'd like to build one, just to see if it worked. I might bomb the Illinois Tollway Authority.

jk I don't want Ashcroft knocking on my door
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I figure for five to six times that, I can do a slightly larger, multistage jet to air-launched ballistic missile combo that would deliver a small nuke to about 1500 feet AGL within 15-20 minutes of first starting it's initial climb to launch attitude.

What? Now you're a rocket scientist too???!!
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No, he's just omniscient.

Not airport security, but still stupid security.

A few weeks ago I went down to DC and visited a couple of museums. Every one of them had metal detectors and security guards posted at the entrance, just to make sure you couldn't get in with anything bad.

But the exists were totally devoid of any security, and were accessible from the outside.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I am happy there is security at the Hoover Dam, but the security is a joke. There are no solid barriers, just wooden and metal structures to block one side of the road on the Arizona side. The cars are forced to pull off the side of the road. Commercial trucks are banned from crossing the dam (Driving on top of the Damn is the shortest way to get from Las Vegas to most part of Arizona like Phoenix). But the problem is a terrorist truck could just go on the opposite side of the two lane road and drive past the checkpoint. One would hope the people at the checkpoint would have radios and could radio someone down below to stop the truck. But from what I seen, there is no additional security at the dam aside from perhaps a Dam security guard.

Now a better system would be to have a concrete barrier on the two lane road preventing vehicles from driving on the opposite lanes. The barrier would have to extend at least a half of a mile. For those that crash through the barrier, you have to have another response team down below with spike strips and heavy firepower to stop a large truck.

There are also dirt roads that one may be able to take a four wheel drive vehicle. But from what I can tell, you can't actually get on the main road from them. The hills are so steep the roads may not go very far. And getting a vehicle with enough explosives on them is highly on likely.

I just don't think the security at the checkpoints is capable of calling in sufficient back up quick enough to stop a truck that runs the checkpoint.

So the Hoover Dam is there for the taking if anyone wants to blow it up. Although the amount of explosives necessary to do so would have to enourmous. I would think that a full tractor trailor full of explosives would be necessary. A Ryder truck like in Oklahoma city would not be sufficient due to detonation on top of the damn forcing the blast in other directions.

It has been listed as one of the top 10 targets on the west coast that can be targetted by N. Korean cruise missiles (this study was made to determine the threat of N. Korea). It would cause much devastation accross the desert southwest. Namely irrigation water for crops and such, not to mention electricity generation. And we won't go into the loss of life downstream.

Comment

Originally posted by alva

What? Now you're a rocket scientist too???!!
                                Actually, rocketry has been one of my "fun" things going way back. Living in Houston during most of the manned spaceflight era might have had something to do with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X