Thumbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbs?

In various discussions about evolution I remember hearing(reading) people talking about thumbs being one of the big human advantages over other animals.

Can anyone clarify this point? It sounds odd.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Grasping.

Comment

Think on the Romans, no gladiator bttles without thumbs....
      Blah

Comment

Cut off your thumbs and let us know.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Think about tying your shoes without thumbs.

Comment

Of course, the truly big difference, the one from which all else follows, is the ability to walk upright.

Comment

I´ve heard thumbs are also neccessary for save masturbating....
              Blah

Comment

Thumbs, upright walking, and sentience are tied IMO. Thumbs allow us to build complex tools, sentience lets us think up the complex tools, and upright walking lets us use them.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

While we're at it, what's the big deal with walking upright?
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Getting from one patch of trees to another with enough weaponry in your now available hands to not get eaten.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Walking upright gives us two arms instead of four legs, you know?

Also allows for the growth of fingers, including the thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                        Thumbs, upright walking, and sentience are tied IMO. Thumbs allow us to build complex tools, sentience lets us think up the complex tools, and upright walking lets us use them.
                        thumbs up

On a side note, this is why I don't think monkeys or dolphins are NEARLY as intelligent as humans - they have no use for it, so why would they evolve it?

Comment

The big deal is opposable thumbs - without thumbs, making tools and such would be much harder. Even more worrying, we wouldn't have

"I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

I gotta see that!

Comment

I had forgotten about that!
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X