Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the U.S. not facing economic sanctions from its illegal war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the U.S. not facing economic sanctions from its illegal war?

Of course that all depends on if you agree the war was illegal or not.

What is an illegal war? I hear the term thrown around a lot. I myself have been using the word illegal quite a bit the last 2 days. It just sounds more dramatic . But seriously, why is it this war was considered illegal, while others are not?

As for the sanctions, well I know the answer to that already, I just had to put the question for the thread title.

Now in march I wouldn't have said this war was illegal, and I didn't. I had no problem with the war in Iraq. But you have to admit, the lack of weapons of mass destruction has to change the legality of it doesn't it? After all, that is what the war was about. If none are found, the war has to be illegal, doesn't it?
    legal
    45.16%
    illegal
    54.84%

Re: Why is the U.S. not facing economic sanctions from its illegal war?

Wars not santioned by the UN are illegal.

This war was not sanctioned by the UN.

Therefore this war was illegal.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

No nation in their right mind would sanction the country whose consumers fuel the world economy, whether we're right or wrong.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

If only terrorists were affected by global economics.

Comment

Eu is a larger market than the US BTW which explained ampty the bending backwards of dybua to Mr. Chirac after the war.

Comment

"Eu is a larger market than the US BTW which explained ampty the bending backwards of dybua to Mr. Chirac after the war."

Sure, but the US is the engine of the world. Actually US consumer debt is.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Just an engine amongst many others. And not the biggest market at that. It is dynamic though even if that means codnemning its people to no welfare and massive arms spending. but hey big corporations need to protect their interests

Comment

Hey, I, and probably the majority of low-middle and lower class Americans, would LOVE for world sanctions against us.

It'd allow us to get our jobs back from overseas.

Comment

Re: Re: Why is the U.S. not facing economic sanctions from its illegal war?

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                  Wars not santioned by the UN are illegal.

This war was not sanctioned by the UN.

Therefore this war was illegal.
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

why is war not sanctioned by the un illegal?

nations in the un have not given up their soverignty to the un...
                    B♭3

Comment

QCubed:

Exactly. To say wars not sanctioned by the UN are illegal is being dense. No country has given up their military or decision making power to the UN.

Which wars are illegal? No wars are illegal... except if you lose.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                        BTW which explained ampty the bending backwards of dybua to Mr. Chirac after the war.

Gee... I remember it the other way around... Chirac has been trying to kiss Bush's butt ever since the war ended. Bush being nice back just means he's allowing Chirac to shove his nose even farther in.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Legal, because we had the force to win and get away with it. Simple.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            why is war not sanctioned by the un illegal?

nations in the un have not given up their soverignty to the un...
                            I concur.

The UN is not the ruler of the world, they do not set the guidelines nor should they.

By the way, the war was backed by resolution 1441. Saddam violated the resolution therefore the serious consquences outlined by the resolution occurred. War. So it was backed by the UN whether you like to admit it or not. A second resolution was not necessary.

The war was legal. To say otherwise is inaccurate. The lack of weapons of mass destruction does not change the legality of the war nor will it. The fact is clearly this: Saddam didn't comply with resolution 1441. What stunned me the most is if he didn't have weapons of mass destruction why oh why didn't he come clean in the first place? That is the question I give to those people who claim Iraq didn't have weapons of mass destruction.

Therefore the war was justified in all counts and was backed by a multilateral coalition of 52 nations.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

yep, one even should say not going to war against Iraq would have been illegal and should have caused economic sanctions against the US.
                              justice is might

Comment

Working...
                              X