What does RACISM mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does RACISM mean to you?

In my opinion, it's a term that has been hijacked as of late - pressed in completely irrelevant situations to stop analytical thought or criticism of certain human developments, simply because the prosecutor doesn't want to believe those argued facts, or feels that they need not be pointed out. What are some clear definition(s) of racism in your own mind? Has, and can the term rightly change over time? What portion of this world is "racist", under your own clarification?

It is a name to be thrown at anyone who's politics I don't like.
    Last edited by Dinner; June 13, 2003, 20:59.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Its the differential treatment of someone based on their ethnicity, perceived ethnicity etc. Thats loose, but normally, its only applied in negative situations, whereas in reality, racism in general is indicative of a more inherrent intolerance.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Racism 1. differing treatment of those of a different group.
        2. overused PC-freak term used to silence all opposition.

A very tiny portion of the US is racist. At least, much smaller than PC persons like Zylka would have you believe.

Hell, even rednecks now just leave to their own devices (specifically, the vehicle ones on the cinder blocks in the yard.)
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

You cannot call an entire group of people murderers and in-breeders and claim you're objectively examining that group's culture.

Pandering to stereotypes and blatantly mis-portraying a race group is racist.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
            Racism 1. differing treatment of those of a different group.
            What is a "group"? Am I a racist if I treat diffferently all members of a hate organization? How about if I despise hardcore nationalists of certain nations? Do these groups not often move for recognition and celebration of their unique differences, and therefore differing treatment?

SO MANY QWESTCHUNS!

Comment

using the term racism or racist is racist
              CSPA

Comment

MrFun
                You talking to me? That's whut I was talking about, if you are--you effectively quashed my attempts at making a comeback on the redneck stereotype by calling it racist, even though i was using it in jest.
                Zylka
                Okay, let me specify: since we're talking about racist, group means a group of people who share the same race, like africans, or jews, or boston marathoners.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                  You cannot call an entire group of people murderers and in-breeders and claim you're objectively examining that group's culture.

I did not call an entire group of people that, I quite clearly stated that the cultural framework of most of the region provided a social life with much higher rates of murderous warfare and inbreeding (which is accepted as FACT). I further specified that it was environmental determinism which was the core in shaping these values, and that genetics therefore have nothing to do with it.

Racism is a "by birth" critique of specific human beings, my own opinion a "by cultural environment" approach. Nature and nurture, I'm sure you heard of these in your victim studies? Stressing the latter approach could lead to ideals supporting "culturalism", I suppose... I just hate being blended in with racist ideology because it so suits one's trite, easy and irrelevant KKK accusations

Comment

*sigh*

As usually Mr Fun resembles the boy who called wolf by calling racism once again...
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

HAHAHA, while I'm still in the mood for this - I'd like to address these gems I've drawn up, with your own criteria:

Race is a socially constructed concept.
                      Do people in the Southern states know that the Civil War has been over for over a century now?
                      Sooo... I suppose the last is an innocent comment, listing all people of a region as ignorant and (assumably) racist - innocent simply because they are not a set "race group". Yet at the same time, you dismiss the concept of "race" as artificial?

Wow. I just don't know where to go from here

Comment

Racism is treating someone worse than you'd treat someone of a different ethnicity, simply because of ethnicity...

...I think. There's probably a hole in that definition that I haven't noticed yet, but I can't think of one.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Zylka: You have him painted in such a corner .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Zylk and Fun, can't you leave other disagreements in other threads? I mean, each thread should be a seperate universe, where things are discussed without bringing in old rants from old threads.

EDIT: Though on a reread, you do have Fun beat, Zylka.

Comment

Zylka's really rolling now.

I think this debate in the posts ahead is going to be anything but fun for MrFun.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X