Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would humans be better without anger?

Is anger always a negative thing?

Certainly when I've responded in anger, I've nearly always regretted my actions.

Anyone think of any benefits of anger?

Or would we be better off if it could be surgically removed or genetically engineered out of the human race?
    Yes, it has very few or no positive results
    23.53%
    No, it is of worth to the future of humaity
    64.71%
    We would be better off without bananas
    11.76%
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

No we wouldn't be better. It's one of the things that makes us human. Without anger we are.. carrots.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

NO!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

If anybody starts screwing around with my genes to try to get rid of my emotions (without anger, what else would be lost....what would the positive emotions have to counter-balance against?), then I'll *really* get p*ssed!

-=Vel=-
        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

humans? no.
          humanity? yes.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

My definition of anger is that of a feeling which has you strongly react about something revolting. As such, anger is what makes mankind progress against all the obstacles it encounters, and resignation is what makes mankind stagnate.

Of course, I prefer anger over resignation. Strangely enough, resignation is a religious values, while anger is sin. I'm an evil sinner then.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

That's a fair point Spiffor - but I can't help but remembr the times when anger has led to spontaneous violence on my part.

Controlled anger, focussed anger for a purpose could be quite useful (not nearly as effective as love). It's the unharnessed kind I find dangerous.

Maybe I'm my own worst enemy?
              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Anger is an emotion like happiness or sadness.

The only way you can make anger a bad thing, is when you fail to express your anger appropriately.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

If anger is a short madness, it is clearly bad. If it is an ardent will and stubborn determination it is good.
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Always stay cool-headed (except when it comes to humour and merriment).
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Fah, no. Anger is good. Get the demons out.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

**** off.
                        Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

You know, I'm angry that you feel that angry is not a legitimate emotion.

Makes me want to . . . . . .
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"
                            Of course, I prefer anger over resignation. Strangely enough, resignation is a religious values, while anger is sin. I'm an evil sinner then."

Not nessecarily. God himself gets angry. If your anger turns into hate and causes you to do evil then it is evil. If on the other hand, you were angry about poverty in the world that anger made you want to help the poor, then such anger would be good.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I think there are some cases where anger is justified. For example, a person should get angry if they witness social injustice like racial discrimination or a rape. That type of anger is good, if it leads to social progress.

Obviously, any anger that causes a person to harm another person (like domestic abuse) is very very bad.

I firmly believe that all emotions are important but should always be kept under control.
                              Last edited by The diplomat; June 13, 2003, 18:31.
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
                              X