Quick Physics Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    I suppose that, if you eliminated all possible impediments and had an absolutely perfect and straight laser beam, the limit of seeing it would be based on the distance of the viewer from the laser source and the speed of light.
    And intensity of the source.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Even perfectly coherent light will suffer from diffraction. When the distance L between the light source and the observer is much greater (100 times or so) than the original width of the beam D and the wavelength W of the light, there will be a central spot of light illuminating the observer with a fainter series of concentric rings around it. The central spot will have a radius of W*L/D.

For example, if the torch is a laser shining a beam of green light (wavelength of 500nm or 5*10-7m) with a diameter of 5cm (5*10^-2m), at a distance of 10km (10^4m) most of the light will be spread out over a circle with a radius of 10^-1m or 10cm.

See http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys...html/lab5.html for a good explanation of this - scroll down until you get to the bit about a single-slit diffraction pattern.

Edit: Learned how to put in a link on these boards.
      Last edited by JellyBean; June 13, 2003, 02:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
        ...Ugh. Insufficient data. How bright is the flashlight, how tight is the beam, how good are the observer's eyes?
        If it's pointed at you, in undisturbed visibility conditions, a typical three D cell maglite can be seen on a dark night from 10 km distance on earth by someone with normal vision. Army issue flashlights with white light can be seen at a little over half that range.

Jelly Bean is absolutely correct, also.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Re: Quick Physics Question

Originally posted by Eli
          If I hover above the moon at a distance of, say, 10km from the surfrace and turn on my flashlight and point it downwards, will someone who's standing on the moon directly below me be able to clearly see the light because the moon has no atmosphere?

If the answer is yes, how far will I have to be for him to not see the light(assuming nothing blocks it except couple straying hydrogen atoms), and why wont he see it?
          Will the light appear weaker at a distance? Yes
          Will the light have the same appearent magnitude? Yes
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
          X