Noam Chomskey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noam Chomskey

I havn;t read any of his work (read an introduction, and generally know what he has said).

What i'd like to know, is he actualyl anygood? Or is he just one of these 'shock-them' left-wing authors, who stuff only really means anything to people who are ignorant or are new to this sort of subject.

Because, if you ask me, any half intelligent person, more then likeley left wing, will pretty much have grasped everything he seems to rattle on about from their own observations.

So is he just a 'pop-author' who only appeals to dim witted masses who are amazed by reading something that goes against the current norms?
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Re: Noam Chomskey

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
    I havn;t read any of his work (read an introduction, and generally know what he has said).

What i'd like to know, is he actualyl anygood? Or is he just one of these 'shock-them' left-wing authors, who stuff only really means anything to people who are ignorant or are new to this sort of subject.

Because, if you ask me, any half intelligent person, more then likeley left wing, will pretty much have grasped everything he seems to rattle on about from their own observations?
    Chomsky is a strange man. I once saw him speak a few years back. He is very persuasive and has a quiet charisma about him.

He is probably one of the most important thinkers of the 20th century, but not for his politics. His theories about our innate capacities for language use and his view of the mind inaugurated the "cognitive revolution" which is the basis of Cognitive science.

You can read about Chomsky as a philosopher here:

As a political thinker he is (a self acknowledged) amateur. He's a sort of Libetarian anarchist who despises both left and right wing totalitarianism. Sometimes he goes a bit overboard, but, as you say, much of what he reports are simply facts - facts, however, that the press ignores.

He's worth a read, but don't submit to the temptation to treat everything he says as gospel (he warns against this himself).
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

makes some interesting points. read with a critical eye, as you would do with anything really.

a bit off topic, his personality has changed a lot the past few years. according to some greek journalists who met him and interviewed him he seems to believe he's an authenticity of some sort. they were quite offput by his arrogance and absolutism in the way he talked. I'd just thought I'd point that out. I don't know if he was always like that.

Comment

Some claim it's not arrogance... but just the way he consideres himself right on most things. He is an interesting character, with many excellent ideas and provides wonderful insight on some subjects. Well worth reading, even when you disagree with him.

But, as many say... take him with a BIG grain of salt...
        Also, he's got some really off the wall POV's.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

50% of what he writes can make you think a bit, it's interesting enough to reflect upon.

The other 50% can make you...umm....feel very "unfriendly" towards him as a person when you consider some of his more "out of the blue" statements.
          DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

If you want a taste of his ideas and thoughts...

Keep on Civin'

Comment

I'll be charitable and commend him as an important figure in the philosophy of language.
              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

In terms of linguistics, he's great.
                In terms of politics... Not so much.
                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                  I'll be charitable and commend him as an important figure in the philosophy of language.
                  That's unworthy of you Shi; there's no charity needed when it comes to his work on language.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Many people don't give him credit for his non political stuff because they can't stand his thoughts on political issues. While I will admit that I must disagree with him on the majority of his political discussions, the rest of his work is quite good.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Noam Chomsky...

Isn't he the Star Trek obsessed studio guy on Frasier?

Comment

His contributions on Language helped Computer Science a good bit too, I might add. Truly a jack-of-all-trades.
                        All syllogisms have three parts.
                        Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
                          His contributions on Language helped Computer Science a good bit too.
                          Shhhhhhh! There are too many people here who think philosophy is useless and has no contribution to make to CS .
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

That's unworthy of you Shi; there's no charity needed when it comes to his work on language.

(I was being charitable and focusing on his accomplishment WRT language and not on his politics)
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Chomsky Normal Form
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X