Do you lock your doors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you lock your doors?

Do you lock your doors? If so, when and why? And how many locks do you have on your door?

This might seem like a pointless question, but I want to see there are national habits about locking doors and if this is an indication of people's paranoia or naivity.

In the movie Bowling for Columbine, Michael Moore argues the American habit of always keeping doors locked is an indication of the fear that prevails in the US.
    Golfing since 67

I lock my doors.

Somebody knicked my concrete lion last weekend.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I lock my doors, in case I'm attacked.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Quite unspecific question.
        Inside my appartment I usually don't lock doors. I lock toilet doors if I'm on a ... ummm ... more private task and there is somebody else around. I lock the door of my appartment if I'm leaving the house for more than, say five minutes. I lock the door of the house during the night or if there is nobody inside (also a question of insurance). I'd prefer not to lock office or lab doors, but I do if there are valuable items inside. Unfortunately there are people around who think they are in a self-service store where they forget to install a check-out.
        In case you should doubt: I'm in Germany.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          I lock my doors, in case I'm attacked.
          I lock my doors in case my kids attack someone
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

i usually don't, but i don't own the house.

i was locked out of my house last night, ad slept on the front lawn for about 4 hours until my sister kicked me on her way to school.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Yep. It's better to be safe than sorry (cliched as it sounds).

My uncles/cousins tend to leave the doors wide open most of the day though...rather liberal bunch that they are.
              DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

I lock my doors because otherwise the wind can blow them open.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Since leaving home I haven't once lived in a flat where the front door didn't require a key to open it. They all had snub-locks on closing.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

My fortress has those little wedge of pie shaped "Security by Claymore" signs around the perimeter.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

People who say there was a time when you didn't need to lock your doors usually forget to mention that in those days nobody had anything worth stealing

Comment

It gets a ridiculous in Hong Kong. I lived at a place where there was an eight-foot wall around two apartment buildings with a key-code locked front gate, then a key-code locked door for the lobby. Each apartment had a locked sliding gate, plus a door with two locks.

It just reeks of paranoia.
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

I guess it depends on how many times you've been burglarized in your life. For me, it's twice, plus two attempts.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

My building has a laser security system that activates after 11 p.m. at night. No, not the killing kind of lasers!

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The kind that just paints a little red dot where their balls would be?

Comment

Working...
                              X