Tax the fat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather we tax the fat cats first.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I think Aerosmith had the right idea. Let's just eat the rich.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Surely eating the fat rich is bad for your health
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

If we let them loose in fields and chase them on horseback with dogs they'll soon get nice and lean.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

"Do some research, it's true.

Fat and sugar are really cheap."

When I was scraping by some 12 years ago (couldn't get UB, or the other one, so was distinctly short on dosh) fatty foods were way out...I stuck to pulses and the like. I've heard this argument before, but I've not seen it in any supermarket (and that includes the then cheapy Budgens, and rather cr*p Iceland) when compared to your basic lentil.

I'm convinced it has little to do with the cheapness of the food, but more to do with the convenience, and lack of familiarity with the cheaper (and better) alternatives...after all the poorer members of the asian community in Hounslow seem to get by without larding up.

Oh....and LARD TAX!

They're stealing my ideas...

Comment

When I was student most meals were based on potatoes, beans, pasta or rice. They aren't exactly fattening.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Depends how much of them you eat...
                Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

They are all high carbohydrate so therefore fattening.

Lentils are cheap, you are right that people need educating about them. You are still not going to be very well nourished on lentils and rice though.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Calorie for calorie, buying fresh fruits, vegetables and grains, and even meats, from the grovery store is far cheaper than buying junk food. A large bag of potato chips usually costs around $3 US, and for that I can buy a sack of potatoes that I can use over the course of several meals with little fat like in chips.

Likewise, if you were to do a price comparison of the cost of buying meat from the store vs. buying prepared meat products, you'd find it cheaper as well, and you can prepare your own meat in a far healthier manner.

Since becoming vegetarian, my food costs have dropped tremendously and my eating lifestyle improved.

The problem is, as was said, convenience and time. It's far more convenient buy prepared junk food rather than make your own healthy dishes. Poor people with multiple jobs don't have much time to cook.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH

We aren't talking about McDonalds, that would be out of the price range of these people. Fresh vegetables are very expensive for the amount of energy you get out of them.
                      Well, I was talking about McDonalds. Can't afford McDonalds? then they have no choice but to buy and cook their own food - and again, bulk vegetables and grains are the cheapest choice there. Or are we talking about homeless shelters?
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Tax the gay!

[/Spink]

Comment

Tax the gay!

[/Spink]

Comment

Pure idiocy. Pretty soon they'll have to tax urinating for being too "environmentally disruptive and may alienate cultures in which urination is not an acceptable process of elimination of bodily fluids."
                            -rmsharpe

Comment

in case you brits don't understand this concept yet, high fat food doesn't cause obesity.

eating more calories than you burn cause obesity.

Comment

rice!

that isn't nuitritious. some of you know nothing about nuitrition.

white rice can spike blood sugar levels and is basically a bunch of empty carbohydrates.

Comment

Working...
                                X