Where's the friggin' bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the friggin' bass?

Metallica's new album sucks and blows at the same time.

OK I told myself I'd try to refrain from using such stupid slang insults. Those words show a lack of vocabulary. Let's just say Metallica's new songs are horrible.

OK so I've only heard 2 on the radio so far. And while the songs might be pretty cool if another band had released them, I admit I hold Metallica to a higher standard.

All I can say is it was a mistake recording an album without a bass player. Their producer Bob Rock laid down the bass tracks. There's a reason why he's a producer and not a bass player.

I'm not even sure I will buy this album. It's not often I don't buy a new Metallica album the first few days it came out.

It has been released early. does anyone have it? Any good songs?

Anyways here's what I got so far from 2 songs. Extreme lack of bass sound. There is bass guitar, I can hear it, but it lacks loudness and even more importantly skill and intensity. The guitar parts are pretty good. I have no complaints about their change of style- provided it could be backed up with strong bass guitar. The drums are kind of light for my tastes. I'm not sure I like the drum set he's using, or perhaps it was the sound quality of the recording. The lyrics are OK, but also lack intensity.
    They suck
    16.67%
    They blow
    8.33%
    They are crap
    8.33%
    They are horrible and should be striken from this Earth
    16.67%
    They are not even worthy of Britney Spears
    25.00%
    I kinda sorts like them
    0.00%
    A banana could record better music
    25.00%
    Last edited by Dis; June 7, 2003, 02:33.

Dissident, so what you're saing is ... that old Metallica rocked? That's just wrong.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

S&M is the only good Metallica album.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

blech! S&M had a few good songs, the other songs had some good bits and pieces. Actually the first CD of S&M is listenable. It kind of falls apart on the second CD.

But perhaps that was too ambitious for Metallica.

You should listen to the Scorpions Crossfire instrumental with the Berlin Philharmonic. The original had lyrics, but this is just an instrumental. I like it.

Comment

DIss, have you checked out Apocalyptica? They're FInnish band, playing Metallica songs with.. I don't know what they are called, those big violin looking things that are actually bass.. you might like it.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

The S&M Enter Sandman is amazing.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The only good song Metallica ever made was 'dirty in the morning'.... nice drums, good singing and lyrics. Otherwise I don't like Metallica.
              In da butt.

Comment

yeah I have some Apocaplyptica on my hard drive. They pretty cool, at least the songs I have on my hard drive are cool.

Comment

dirty in the morning? I'm not familiar with that song.

Comment

I don't like Apocalyptica, but I figured if someone liked Metallica, they might like them too, since they play their songs. They are so original .

Dirty In The Morning? Oh they played that in Cancun, Spring Break like few years ago.. They haven't released it on any album or single though.
                    In da butt.

Comment

I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU

That lyric just about sums things up, I do believe.

Comment

bump

Comment

DIss, Ok since you bumped this thread I just might confess that there is no such Metallica song, and I bet they never even played in Spring Breaks or what ever.
                          Sorry.
                          In da butt.

Comment

'Enter Sandman' is a classic, and I love that Apocalyptica stuff!
                            However, Metallica sucks..

Comment

is it just me, or are the vocals and drums just too goddam loud? that high, ringing snare really doesn't suit lars's playing at all. the bass sound does lack a certain pinache, which i hope would have been re-recorded when Rocky started with them. apparently not.

although, i smile to think that jason newstead left metallica, is playing with VoiVod now, but is taking a break to go play with Ozzy while Rocky is off with the Hetfeild/Ulrich Experience.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Working...
                              X