No announcement yet.

One F&*ked up Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need to fix anything, except for (a), which you have done already. There's nothing really wrong with having 8 partitions, though you should convert them all to NTFS if possible. I don't think the process will wipe the data, but do them one by one and backup the stuff first, just to be sure.

As for CorelDraw and other critical applications, my recommendation is to acquire a copy of each on CD. You can't tell when the HDD is going to go poof.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

computtters are somtimes very complex. What ever you do, don't read tjh manuals. Piss on the manualks and set them on fire. That's what Jimi Hendrix would do, and who are you to say something else? I didn't think so!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        You don't need to fix anything, except for (a), which you have done already. There's nothing really wrong with having 8 partitions, though you should convert them all to NTFS if possible. I don't think the process will wipe the data, but do them one by one and backup the stuff first, just to be sure.

As for CorelDraw and other critical applications, my recommendation is to acquire a copy of each on CD. You can't tell when the HDD is going to go poof.
        I've never seen an OS that could change a file system without losing data. How you access the data that has been written in the old format after the new one has gone on?

Perhaps the reason for all those partitions was multi-writing data. Keeping several copies of every safe. If a minor fault develops in one partition, you could still use the disk. So it's not a COMPLETELY stupid idea - although for someone who isn't PC wise it doesn't help.

Mind you Urban, you're bang on about HDD sometimes just dying on you. It always seems to happen to me at the most incovenient times. Over 10 years I guess I should have expected a couple of blowouts.

Pekka, with that attitude you are NEVER going to keep a job in tech support. Neither would Jimi (if he was still alive).
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I think that Pekka's beyond caring at the moment...
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
            I've never seen an OS that could change a file system without losing data. How you access the data that has been written in the old format after the new one has gone on?
            I know that you could convert from FAT32 to NTFS, I am not sure if the process is lossless. I haven't done it for a long time. Whenever I install the NT-line OS I always use NTFS - it is the best option.

Originally posted by Cruddy
            Perhaps the reason for all those partitions was multi-writing data. Keeping several copies of every safe. If a minor fault develops in one partition, you could still use the disk. So it's not a COMPLETELY stupid idea - although for someone who isn't PC wise it doesn't help.
            It could be, though using a tape backup or similar means is a better idea for small businesses.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

UR, I think I will have to re-partition, the guy can't find anything, he's a TOTAL newb. He needs a C: drive with his Apps, his Letters in c: myDocuments, his pictures in C:myPictures etc

Cruddy, the partitions arn't a safety feature, they just have random (different) crap on them, I've tryed to fathom the guys reasoning out from every angle........'shrug'

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                UR, I think I will have to re-partition, the guy can't find anything, he's a TOTAL newb. He needs a C: drive with his Apps, his Letters in c: myDocuments, his pictures in C:myPictures etc
                He's more mechanical than a robot

Comment

When I upgraded from 98 to XP, I converted from FAT32 to NTFS without loss. But then formatted it anyway.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Comment

The plot thickens......

there are 2 primary drives, c: which s full and and 'an extended' drive (thats empty) which does'n't show up anywhere but Partition Magic.

How do I get my hands on the extended drive and merge it into c:?

WTF?

Comment

If you have all the software & all other ifor is backed up, I would highly suggest reformating & setting it up as one partition. Also, as you said he is computer illeterate, so make the rest as simple as possible. Good luck!
                        "Close only counts in horseshoes & Fireball Spells!!!" From "Tangled Webs

Comment

Originally posted by Flare
                          If you have all the software & all other ifor is backed up, I would highly suggest reformating & setting it up as one partition. Also, as you said he is computer illeterate, so make the rest as simple as possible. Good luck!
                          I've got all the software, do you know how can i get to the 'hidden' extended partition?Can i get to it though DOS? or will it still be hidden?

Comment

Ooopps!

Comment

The extended partition is not hidden, it's just that it has nothing on it, so you can't see it. What you need to do is to create a logical drive on it via FDISK or some other means, then you can format that logical drive and use that space.

However, you are not supposed to have two primary partitions or c: drive. So you need to remove one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X